1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why hasn't anyone written a Kobe Bryant biography?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 12, 2011.

1. swenk

swenk Member

Book success is all about earning back the advance. If they pay you $10k and you sell 15,000 books, that's a success. If they pay you $100k and you sell 15,000, that's a failure. Book editors keep their jobs by not losing money for the company.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd put the over/under of Olney's advance at $250K.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No way. That book was never going to sell big numbers.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

We're talking about the Don Meyer book right? I can't picture that possibly getting that big of an advance, no matter how good the story. A small-college coach no one's ever heard of, even with the recovery from the accident, the most victories, etc. I think that was more a book Olney did out of love of the subject that any chance it'd bring in big bucks.

On a sidenote, my uncle played for Meyer in the early '70s. Hated the guy as a coach, and didn't feel all warm and fuzzy about him years later like many of his ex players. And he wasn't some malcontent - was team MVP, all-conference and has been a college coach himself for 30 years. Just thought Meyer was mean and was usually just mean to be mean. One intense thing they did was take charges during pregame warmups.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

working title.

If I Did It, too.

6. sportbook

sportbook Member

Agreed. I'd be shocked if he got close to that number. I'll take the under.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are we talking about the Yankee Dynasty book?

I very well might be wrong, but there was a story within the past year about AWoj having to return a $300K advance or being sued for it, I don't remember...

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was a Jim Valvano bio.

Draft saved Draft deleted