1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why hasn't a women's sports league succeeded?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The subtle trolling of football fans within the trolling of soccer fans is good stuff. Bravo, new Dick.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Your daughter has breast cancer?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Frank Deford blames it on women's butts*.

*OK, well technically, he said "backsides."

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Seems to me the NBA had the idea of linking up with the WNBA like this for awhile. I don't hear much about that anymore.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, Donna Delle was the top vote getter and she's got nice jumper from 18 or so. Cute too.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It will happen someday, but it just does not happen overnight.

Hidden demographics of youth sports - ESPN The Magazine

It is a very slow trickle up effect where the sports you play as a youth are the sports you will probably watch as an adult.

I'm 45, and I cannot remember any girls when I was young playing anything other than maybe softball ages 3-10 (late 1970s). In the 1990s I would say some girls were doing some type of sport while in elementary school but they were in the minority. Now, you can say most girls are playing a sport while they are in 1st grade. In 20 years, these are the fans of the first professional women's league.

The only thing I could possibly see sticking here in the USA is some form of combination of men and women playing, like a four-quarter soccer game where the women play the first and third quarters of a 100-minute match with the men playing the second and fourth. You would have a mixed shootout if the game is tied at the end of regulation or do a 10 and 10 extra time type of thing. This way you draw both groups of fans.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would enjoy it for the built-in bathroom breaks.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to break through in the '90s.

[​IMG]

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's like riding the bus. All the elected officials, business leaders and do-gooders in town talk about how great public transit is ... but at the end of the day, they all drive around in a Lexus or sports car.

Be sure to call ahead to check that your flight is on time, folks.:)

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My comparison is always pizza.

Every time I'm hosting a party, I ask people what kind of pizza they want. All the women inevitably tell me they want veggie pizza.

So I order veggie pizzas. And, later, I have veggie pizzas with almost no slices taken, and run out of sausage pizza.

X-Hack likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If you hosted a WNBA team party, not all of those players would opt for the sausage ...

X-Hack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted