1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why has recruiting news blown up?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Okay, Faber it is.

But don't go announcing it on FaberRecruiting.com or your Faber J-School Newsletter or on that journalism talk radio show you do. I still want to do a big show on signing day.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You got it. We'll just alert the Rivals folks that you are a silent commit.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet! Does this mean you'll quit calling me 10 times per day? I hope so. My mom was threatening to shut off my cell service because I'd gone over on minutes with you calling so much.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A friend of mine says this about the people who are so interested in recruiting _ they only want to know who they'll be criticizing for four years.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I dunno ... they got tired of playing dungeons and dragons and beating off to 1991 Playboy magazines?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am no big fan of this stuff, but I think we get especially defensive about recruiting coverage for a few reasons:

1. Other people do it better than us.

2. We really don't want to work that hard, even though we see the interest.

3. The fans know more about this stuff than we do.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

For many readers, it fills the void between the season and spring practice.

Football is the most popular sport in this country. Many people, especially those affiliated with BCS schools, want more news than we can give them.

No major difference between recruiting stories and the endless speculation and previews written before the NFL draft.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

except most of the people writing and talking have actually seen those players play

9. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I wish it was no big deal. we had a kid who had committed to one huge school decommit and commit to another huge school. he's getting all kinds of attention from the recruiting services and he's listed as four stars and all that, I think because he's huge...but by many accounts he's a stiff who takes about half the game off on a team that could really use someone to set a good example.

I don't guess they have a drill to measure that.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hoops,

That's absolutely true. I'm just comparing the two from the "filling the void" perspective, not from actualy being able to make an informed judgement on the abilities of the players.

In some ways, we should be happy for Rivals, etc., because thepers could devote the resources necessary to cover recruiting that thoroughly, and Rivals has some credibility that when they report an oral commitment you can actually believe it 75 pefrcen tof the time.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Only this time of year does anyone give a fuck about the NCAA Clearinghouse, NCAA Recruiting's filthy cousin.

12. 85bears

85bears Member

4. Bothering kids on the phone three times a week (Rivals' "limit," I believe) just feels distasteful.

Draft saved Draft deleted