1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why exactly is the NRA so powerful?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 3, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The fourth amendment says what it actually says. For the record, I look at the fourth amendment and EXPLICITLY see a prohibition of illegal searches and seizures. I don't have to parse it, or find an academic who wrote a thesis about it. So I am not sure why you put words into my mouth and then argued the strawman you created.

Just as the second amendment says what it says. All I have done was point to what it ACTUALLY says to support an opinion about its purpose. What I posted makes a ton more sense to me than there having been a notion that we needed to protect basic philosophical rights, such as freedom to disagree with the government, freedom to worship (or not worship) any religion you want, freedom from the police busting down your door without a warrant, etc. ... and those human rights inexplicably included, "Oh, yeah, people need to be allowed to have guns!"

Your last few sentences boggle me. If you (or anyone else) read something into the second amendment that wasn't actually written in it, and ignore the way it ACTUALLY was written (giving a reason for it) you didn't arrive at your conclusions about this in the same way I did.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

2nd amendment ... "the right of the people"

4th amendment ... "the right of the people"

How are these different in what they actually say?

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, you kind of buried the lede there. I agree with you about the NRA being well funded and effective at lobbying. I don't think anyone could dispute that. But there are plenty of politicians (at any level) who are gun owners themselves that will protest any gun restrictions themselves, even if the NRA wasn't doing any lobbying at all. In other words, I second what doctorquant said early on the first page of this thread.
    As for the Second Amendment, I agree with The Big Ragu's interpretation, as I've said before. But the Second Amendment has become such a gun-guaranteeing document by now in the eyes of many, so engrained in our fabric, I don't know how you'd get the necessary support to overturn it. Even if you put aside pushback and influence from the NRA, so many people (politicians and non-politicians alike) believe the Second Amendment means any individual can own a gun, how do you overcome that?
    I'd argue the recent mass shootings, instead of drawing the country more together on the gun control topic, have done the opposite. In the last couple of days, I've seen a couple of my local politicians post on Facebook post about the increase of mass shootings under Obama vs. other presidents. Plus plenty of other anti-Obama, Clinton or gun posts (seems like more so than usual). I don't think you could pin that on the NRA.

4. The Big Ragu

One amendment specifies individual rights (the fourth). The other doesn't (the second).

The second amendment doesn't explicitly specify any rights conferred upon each person. And in fact, it prefaces the right with the need for a well-regulated militia (i.e. -- it gave a reason for the right there in the text. ... and it doesn't spell out every yokel having a human right to a gun as the operative thing, it specifies a militia being vital to protecting a free society).

The fourth amendment DOES spell out very fairly narrow individual rights. It specifically says that a person's home, papers and effects can't be searched and seized illegal (I am not parsing it. That is explicitly what it says -- that is every individual's right. ... to be "secure in their persons, houses, etc."). It also says that any warrant against an individual needs to be backed with probable cause, etc (again, I am not parsing it. That is what it says).

5. doctorquant

Sorry Rags, you're parsing both the 2nd and the 4th. That's how it's done. That's the only way it can be done. I don't particularly care where your parsing takes you. But you're parsing nonetheless.

6. The Big Ragu

Well, if that is the case, I am secure in knowing that my parsing doesn't go beyond reading what it actually says. That is all I have pointed you to.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You can line up 100 constitutional scholars and get 100 different interpretations of the Second Amendment. I'm not a constitutional scholar, but my understanding has always been that the "well-regulated militia" thing was there to protect us against a possible future tyrant government. Which kind of made sense 226 years ago. Now, if the government wanted your guns, well, it would come and take them. Today's government doesn't have just guns. It has tanks and airplanes and drones and all manner of mayhem-causing objects. If a tyrant government really wanted your AR-15, it would vaporize you and it would take it and it wouldn't miss the possible one or two soldiers you took out before the airplane came.

So it comes back to the protection of the concept of individual gun ownership. If you're that scared of the world around you, fine, own a gun. If you like shooting for fun, maybe own a few guns. Hunt for your food? Absolutely, you'll need one of those shotguns or rifles. But under what circumstances do you need 1,500 rounds of ammunition? Maybe if we made it as hard to buy ammo as it is to buy Claritin-D, that might be a start.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So we have to choose between figuring out what people who died 200 years ago meant, or we're trying to figure out a way to decode a meaning from their words that is workable for our time period.

That's a pretty shitty choice when "Write the documents that govern us ourselves" should be on the table. Tyranny of the dead is real.

9. doctorquant

Have at it champ. Nothing's stopping a soul from giving it a go.

RickStain likes this.
  10. RickStain

All I have to do is convince two people on SJ.com. Then they convince two people each, etc. A movement is born.

doctorquant likes this.
  11. doctorquant

I think you should let Baron write the preamble. He's got the gift ...

old_tony likes this.
  12. RickStain

I was thinking Starman.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted