1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't sabermetricians manage baseball teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SkiptomyLou, Sep 25, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No kidding. Who the hell do they think they are, not properly accounting for what lies ahead in 2012? Lazy bums.

2. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's times like these that I appreciate the greatness of MankyJimy even more.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

With Manky, there is a shred of sanity to each post. Like, he's not that dissimilar to a talk radio caller, except that he's always 75 percent insane in every post. Even nutso people in real life have brief periods of lucidity.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

skiptomylou is going to be rookie of the year on this site for entertainment value alone.

It's funny, but now that I'm 40, I wonder if I was this much of a know-it-all when I was his age.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I have read some of Bill James manifestos. He has some good thoughts but you don't want him at the controls. Anyone remember the 2003 bullpen by committee fiasco that he created in Boston? At least he pushed for them to add Papi - probably the biggest signing by any team of the last 10 years.

The sabermagicians on this board would have had Jeter retire after last season. All the talk about 'aging patterns' and 'decline', as if the Captain could be explained by a spreadsheet. Now look what he's meant to the team in 2011.

7. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

When did I say I'm a know-it-all?

8. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

No, we advised the Yanks not to overpay. And they severely, severely overpaid

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Who is "we?"

EDIT: Oh, never mind. The sabermagicians.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The next few decades? Seriously? You're saying the Braves aren't going to make the playoffs again until 2040? Want to make a wager on that?

So we're writing off the Braves, Phillies and Giants for the next 20 years. We can all accept the Cubs, Marlins, Pirates and most of the NL Central outside of the Cardinals will never be perennial contenders. The Dodgers are in financial hell and will struggle to be relevant. The Padres and Diamondbacks are "small market" teams.
    That leaves us with Colorado and Washington to be the dominant forces in the National League for the foreseeable future. Fire up the bandwagons!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you guys make this bet, can I hold the money for you?

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Let's be real here, the Yankees have wasted a lot of money on free agents in the last 15 years. They can afford to, not every move is going to work. You think they should've gone cheapskate on the 21st century DiMaggio?

Draft saved Draft deleted