1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't black athletes dominate soccer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Too many white people with sticks? Oh, sorry. That's hockey.

This is a stupid thread.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother Phil Mickelson.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It helps in golf. forces you to not keep your hands so close to your body.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In the case of Nigeria, it think it's a cultural difference with respect to oranges.
    When I was in Nigeria in 2002, I was surprised to find out that people didn't eat oranges. People looked at me like I was crazy when I peeled and ate an orange.
    The Nigerians usually just take the rind off the orange and leave the white pith. Then they cut the top off the orange and just suck the juice out of it. They don't eat the orange.

This puts young Nigerian soccer players at a disadvantage when other young players grow up consuming actual orange slices, providing better nutrition.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's why Nigerians get a lot of colds. They are not getting the full dose of vitamin C.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Scurvy kept Daniel Amokachi out of a Champions League match, if I recall correctly. :)

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow. I was really confused by your post.

Then it clicked and I got it.

Very funny.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

In my city, as I was told once and understood it myself, kids in the whitest parts of town play soccer. The kids in the blackest parts of the city play football.

In all my kids' soccer-playing days from about age 6 or 7 each into or through high school, my middle child played on one team a couple of years that had two black girls and my youngest played on one team one year with a black kid. That was it. Either the opportunity or the interest isn't there, at least here.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

93, is there a thread you won't Steelers-jack?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Swede, sorry.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hey, it's no question that Sweeds can't play wide receiver.

(That was my backup joke.)

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sweedish women are tougher than Limus.

Draft saved Draft deleted