1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Why don't Americans save more money?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For several years before I got my working papers (late '60s to early '70s), I had 3-4 neighbors for whom I'd mow lawns in the summer and shovel snow in the winter. As I recall, it was about $10 for lawn mowing and snow shoveling would be $10 to $20 depending on the amount of snow.

There are no kids available for this in my neighborhood, but day laborers often come around after snowfalls. I have one of those pricey services for my lawn care.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She offered to install the flooring we had replaced in six rooms, built her own flax break, refinished and painted a desk I was going to throw away and has fixed the garbage disposal twice. :) But I draw the line on DIY work when it comes to porcelain tile.

I actually enjoy paying top dollar for quality professional work that can be an investment or last many years to a lifetime. I'm just not into gadgets that often come with subscriptions and always come with never-ending upgrades. A well-maintained car should go 300,000 miles (even if my odometer broke 8 years ago at 210,814).

We, uh, have a difference of opinion on lawn care. She thinks the typical manicured lawn looks fake and actually likes many things we call weeds (for their nutrients, medicinal qualities, etc.). So the front yard is mine, the back hers. She does tons of gardening work in the back. Anybody want cucumbers and bell peppers? We should have tons this summer!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Gotta keep the grass short for one of those to work well, which means you mow about every five days and you're fucked if it rains for two days. Plus, to really get your lawn cut and looking right, you need to mow north-south and east-west. The one I own is sitting in my garage, unused this year.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. swingline

BTE's latest post is just dying for a boots reference ...

5. BTExpress

There has been a TV commercial playing recently for the Surface Pro 4. The entire premise of the ad is a sketch artist raving about how the device is so intuitive . . . it feels like he's drawing with a real pencil. The best example I've seen yet of trying to create a need where a need does not exist. How about buy a pencil and save $900?

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 TV Spot, 'Forensic Artist Stephen Mancusi'

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've had "reel" mowers since we bought our first house in 1998, back in northern Michigan. If your primary concern is having a perfect lawn, you wouldn't use one. But as you say ... if you stay on top of it, a reel mower can keep the lawn/weeds under control.

Also, if you live in a humid place, with frequent rainfall (I'm looking at you, Quad-Cities!) it can be tough to keep up.

Thankfully, here in the semi-arid Inland Northwest, I can get away with mowing every week or so, and less frequently than that once the dry months of July and August arrive.

7. swingline

Also best for a small lawn on mostly level ground.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Very good at saving money:

9. BTExpress

They probably draw pictures with a pencil and paper, too. Idiots. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted