1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't ad salespeople work when it rains?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every time it's raining, the parking lot is filled with their cars. When it's 75 and sunny, you can't find a sales rep in the building. But when it's raining, they won't even leave for lunch and instead order in.

Is it like that at every shop? Is there some unwritten ad rule that prevents them from calling on customers when it's drizzling?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're probably on the phone.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Or playing fantasy football.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Really, do you think ad salespeople just drop in on clients and potential clients, expecting them to put aside whatever they're working on so they can buy space in the paper from their uninvited and unexpected guest? Or do you think they phone ahead a few days in advance and make an appointment, and visit at the convenience of the customer or potential customer? So on rainy days they just decide, oh, it's too wet to make a complete pest of myself and, by the way, earn a commission?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Because they're made of sugar?

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We had one get angry with a client on the phone, scream, "I'll get you! And your little dog, too!" and storm out into the rain.

"I's meeeelting! I'm meeeeeeeeelting!" was the last that we heard.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Frank, my father runs a large auto dealership. And my first newspaper gig was in an ad department. So I've seen sales from both sides. And I'm not one of the newsroom types who despise the ad reps. Their efforts pay my salary, so I love them for that.

But on nice, sunny days they aren't in the office. On rainy days, they are.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hey, rainy days and Mondays always get me down....

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They're playing golf on the sunny days.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

As long as they sell an ad while they are there, it's all good.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Ad sales are down! Revenue is dwindling! Clients are leaving!

So, the better question is: Why don't sales people get axed for not selling enough? Or not generating new ideas/clients/revenue?

They're sitting on their asses in the rain. And we get laid off and get offered buyouts.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

We (editorial) came up with a new product that advertising used to acquire new revenue. Advertising got bonuses. Editorial got more work.

Draft saved Draft deleted