1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why doesn't my intern know how to stfu?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

J. About athletes, whiny, overpaid.
    K. About coaches, quoteless, arrogant.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, we need all the places to bitch about prep parents we can get, mister!

3. lono

lono Active Member

Ah, a new literary genre, the self-hate book.

Well played, DyePack!

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Um, thanks?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I think we have a best seller ...

6. I was an intern last year and I honestly had no idea interns were that bad across the board.

I went to a D-II college where journalism wasn't offered. I got a communications degree. I wrote for my student paper and then went to a local town paper and became a sponge to the sports editor and writers on the staff.

I asked questions at every turn and went out on assignments, doesn't matter if it was a youth ice skating tournament or kids playing youth baseball.

I didn't get paid for the first two months I was there and got in about 15-20 clips, which was pretty good for me without having any experience.

I got paid $25 during the fall year of 2004 covering high school football for the paper but that experience helped me land an internship.

Although I'm not a sports writer anymore - I work online for a newspaper (sports producer) - but that experience and the internship helped me land my first full-time job.

I can't believe newcomers would have egos like that starting out regardless of what they covered in college.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

You did it the right way. Interns like you aren't the ones getting ripped in this thread.

Your college background probably had a lot to do with your attitude. You didn't cover a football team from a BCS conference for the award-winning college newspaper, so you didn't come into the sports department thinking that covering a youth baseball tournament was beneath you.

You showed respect for the people you worked for and with. You learned from them.

That's how interns should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted