1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does USA Today push the "African Americans in baseball" theme

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 18, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

over and over?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-04-15/baseball-jackie-robinson/54302108/1

Its a zero sum game.

Let it go, USA Today.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is it USA Today or is it Bob Nightengale? This has been his issue for a long long time.

3. poindexter

Like Christine Brennan and women's basketball?

ay yi yi

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a legit issue that should be discussed... to me, a big part of the problem is the lack of full scholarships in baseball.

5. poindexter

What isn't discussed in these articles is that black kids don't like baseball.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have never thought about it before, but it's a good question.

I've never seen an article questioning why their are not more white players in The NBA.

7. Boom_70

But they do like the caps.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a small part of the problem if any at all. The weeding out starts around age 10 and is fully completed by age 13 based on whose parents have the $5-10K (or more) to put their kid in travel ball, private coaching, etc.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You've obviously never worked in a Gannett newsroom, or you would have to ask.

It's part of the groupthink.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Basketball is the cheapest and most accessible sport in this country. It's also the only one of the major sports you can play alone AND improve while doing so. You add that to the way the NBA has marketed its star players, and it's a no-brainer as to why black youth overwhelmingly ignore baseball.

11. Boom_70

and the NBA has bad hats to boot.

What MLB should do is only allow kids who play baseball to wear their official 59-50 hats.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

OK, I was going to post on this thread, but after reading it, really, what's the use?
    Wow. What a country.

Draft saved Draft deleted