1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the Triple Crown seem underhyped?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I never typed that.

Nor did I imply it.

Noted. Amended.

3. Dick Whitman

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm kind of nervous that I agree with hondo on the main point (Cabrera over Trout) because we're so far opposed on everything else.

Cabrera's team winning its division and Trout's team finishing third is, perhaps, somewhat muted by the fact that the Angels have won 89 games and the Tigers have won 87. I don't know. Maybe not.

And Trout's stolen bases do mean quite a bit -- not just the raw number but the 92 percent success rate. He has only given up four outs this way, which is a pretty small price to pay for the runs created.

6. Dick Whitman

7. Dick Whitman

I don't get too wrapped up in that because of the unbalanced schedule. It skews wins totals. BTW, Cabrera would be my MVP.

But the idea that support for Trout is enmeshed merely in support for "nerdy stats" is preposterous.

Of course, Hondo has now moved the goal posts. He's explaining why runs scored and stolen bases are not important. Which is a fine argument, I suppose. But it's not the one he made at all.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick, I thought about that unbalanced schedule, but I don't think it can be used to the Tigers' credit in this case. The Angels played a lot of games against the A's and Rangers and also faced the Giants -- that's three 90-plus-win teams. Even the M's aren't shit-awful. Tigers got a full complement of games against one team that's slightly worse than Seattle and two teams that are terrible.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll say it ... if Cabrera played in NYC or Boston, this would be the biggest thing ever.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Trout did quite a bit more on the field than Cabrera this season and is a far more complete player, overall. With that said, Cabrera would still be my MVP choice.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Total agreement. ESPN would be daring people to say Trout would have a sniff at the MVP.
    I would bet anything that Cabrera won more games with his bat than Trout did with his defense. Subtract any games that might have been lost outright due to Cabrera's defense, and he'd still be ahead of the game. It's the same reason by I would have taken Ripken over Ozzie any day. Ripken meant way more with the bat to his team than Ozzie did with his glove to his team.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is a fair argument, your RBI rant on the other hand is ridiculous. Are you aware of where each bats in the lineup?

Draft saved Draft deleted