1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the Triple Crown seem underhyped?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 3, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What's the 3rd catagory again? WAR, OPS+ & ...?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How at this point does anybody that follows the game not understand WHIP and OPS?

I can see not understanding WAR, FIPS, DIPS and a lot ot the other Saber stuff but OPS and WHIP are just common place now. They are displayed as part of most players stat lines.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

but the old school baseball fans and media who wear their ignorance as a badge of honor are really the true baseball fans. What exactly is a true baseball fan?

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Not sure why, but totally agree that it has been wildly underplayed.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You're going far beyond anything I asserted.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just pointing out the ease with which the two big league M. Cabrera's might be confused by casual followers of baseball.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Since the last winner, statistics have evolved and batting average has been (correctly) devalued in the process.

What three offensive stats should be included in a new age Triple Crown?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think batting average should be devalued. Runners are often capable of gaining more bases on a batter's hit than a walk. A good batting average without a ton of walks...now that has been devalued. I thought RBI was the main sticking point here.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just wait until someone wins the pitcher's Triple Crown: era, strikeouts and WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, maybe because it's been longer since we've had a Triple Crown winner in baseball than in horse racing.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Didn't both guys do that last year?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My guess is that since almost all baseball media awarded Trout the MVP back in August, and since Cabrera only moved into real Triple Crown contention in September, his performance kind of snuck up on people.

Draft saved Draft deleted