1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the Triple Crown seem underhyped?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I remember when I was younger, if anyone even flirted with the Triple Crown, it was the biggest thing going for weeks, if not months. Miguel Cabrera's pursuit has been compelling, but I wouldn't exactly say it has captured the imagination of the sporting public. Some thoughts, and I'm curious what others think:

1) Baseball is still going on? (aka NFL! NFL! NFL!)

2) After the sabermetrics revolution, the Triple Crown has lost some of its luster because we don't value batting average and RBIs in the same way that we used to.

3) He plays in Detroit. Not being on a coast - or Chicago - Detroit doesn't count as a real city.

4) The revamped wild card chase in baseball keeps other stories front and center longer, whereas playoff spots used to be wrapped up much earlier.

5) Cabrera made his charge late, after a lot of narratives for this season had been settled on, and regardless of what happens, this will be remembered as the summer of Mike Trout, R.A. Dickey, Steven Strasburg, and the Baltimore Orioles.

6) You're crazy, Dick Whitman. This is the biggest sports story in America. Every TV set in America will be tuned in tonight. You're just looking back on the past with rose-colored glasses.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's not Jetes.

Not kidding
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's right in line with my No. 3.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Wasn't M. Cabrera suspended 50 games for doping?

YGBFKM Guest

Because hyping stellar achievements is sooooo 20th century. These days, you have to look "beyond the numbers" to get the "real story." It's "Look at how smart I am" sports analysis. Kind of sucks the fun out of the game.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

It's also been so long since baseball had a Triple Crown winner that no one in baseball's young(er) demographic can assign much of a value to it.

YGBFKM Guest

What? Isn't part of being a baseball fan -- moreso than in any of the sports -- being aware of and appreciative of the the game's rich history?
  8. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

I think the game's rich history in this case may have been overwhelmed by DW's second suggestion above: statistical devaluation.

If there had been a couple close Triple Crown chases in the sabermetric era, people might feel an irrational fondness for it - even if BA and RBI are no longer the game's yardsticks.

As it is, maybe it feels to younger fans like a 'so what?'
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Everyone is just afraid Cabrera is going to hurt himself going for the third leg and have to be put down.
  10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I agree with Dick and think it's a tremendous accomplishment that is bering underplayed. I don't think it has anything to do with Cabrera playing for Detroit, I believe it may have to do with his stats not being in sexy abbreviated things like WHIP, OPS or any other statistic old baseball writers like me don't understand.
  11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's reflective of people not being able to focus on much of anything for very long. A saberhead who has no appreciation for the Triple Crown is a mere math geek, not a true baseball fan.
  12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No, he's been arrested for DUI, but never been accused of using PEDs to my knowledge.
Draft saved Draft deleted