1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Bruce Willis suck now?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 25, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He hasn't been a big draw to the box office for awhile, so I doubt a lot of A-list roles are being sent to his agent, even if he could knock them out of the park. Guy is happy to take a paycheck, and I can't blame him. Nobody will remember the misses, but Die Hard will be played every Christmas from here til eternity.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And yet I didn't know he'd made anything in the past five years, which is probably a bad sign.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The reality is he was a gen x star, and those people don't go to the movies as much now. And millennials won't go see a movie just because an 80s star is in it even if they loved the guys stuff growing up. Hence, he is not a draw.

So, this is history repeating itself. As a kid in the 1980s, I would stop anything to watch Lee Marvin or Clint Eastwood or Charles Brosnan or Steven McQueen on TV showing one of their 1960s and 1970s classics. I had no interest in spending five buck to see their movies in the 1980s...ok, McQueen was dead, but you get the idea. I wasted my money watching Stallone, Willis, Schwarzenegger and sometimes Van Damme.

My father, who grew up in the 1950s mesmerized by John Wayne, admitted he stop giving a shit at some point around ballad of the green berets. He never bothered to watch true grit until like 30 years later.

So, now, I see his thing. I don't give a crap to see the guys I grew up on because I just don't care.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Who was worse, Seagal or Van Damme?

Answer: Yes.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  5. Man, I loved Hard to Kill and Bloodsport.

Willis has always been a dick. He and Cybil were like oil and water, which ruined Moonlighting, such a GREAT show.

He's a strange dude on interviews too. Doing promos for his movies. He's a different cat.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If we're talking about doing movies for the straight to video paycheck, Nic Cage has lapped the field and is driving backward. He must own a huge fucking chunk of Netflix because he's all over that place like stink in the ladies' bathroom. The last good movies I remember him in are "Matchstick Men" and "Adaptation," and those came out, like, a while ago.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That and the black and white episode in the first season are the gold standards of the show.

8. Deskgrunt50

Loved the show. First two seasons were incredible. But it sort of limped to the end. Production issues and two stars who hated each other.

9. Deskgrunt50

He always gets a pass from me for the first three Die Hard flicks (especially the first) and Pulp Fiction.

But Kevin Smith I trust in his assessment Willis is a dick on set.

10. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Willis is still the star of the greatest Betweeen Two Ferns:

"Did you know that some actors turn down roles?"

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The Death Wish remake is something that I would have mildly considered going to. Middle aged guys killing people always appeals to me.

It's not so much the "Jack" comment that wrecks the trailer but the choice of music. Makes the movie seem less intense.

This movie will be a failure unless he kills The Giggler.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, the music kicking in right then does not have the intended effect ... unless the goal was to make me laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted