1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Andrew McCutchen suck now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is the weirdest thread you've ever gotten pissy about, and that's saying something.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You think I'm being pissy? Man, you read that wrong. I'm just doing what you usually do.

By the way, over the last 28 days, McCutchen is batting .402 with a .475 on-base percentage and he is slugging .759. His 14 home runs put him on pace for 31, which would match his career high.

3. Dick Whitman

Yeah, he's turned it around nicely. I'm glad.

4. Dick Whitman

By the way, the premise was not inaccurate.

McCutchen sucked at the time of the thread. The question posed was: "Why does Andrew McCutchen suck now?" McCutchen himself explained in the linked story why he sucked. It appears to have been the correct answer.

I would say this thread was a smashing success. A question was posed and a question seems to have been definitively answered.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Can you start a "Why do the Bears suck?" thread?

Would like to use your powers for good.

6. outofplace

By that logic, any time a player is in a slump, it is accurate to say he sucks.

But yeah, you'll twist yourself into any rhetorical knot to avoid admitting you were wrong.

7. Dick Whitman

"Why did Bryce Harper suck today?"

That seems like a fair question, though not thread-worthy.

McCutchen was really bad last year. Then he was really bad to begin this year. That's more than a year of bad.

It was a fair question to ask. In fact, in so many words, someone asked McCutchen himself the question: "Why do you suck now?"

He answered: "Because of this mechanical flaw. But I fixed it. Now I'm not going to suck anymore."

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

His not sucking has been a boon to my fantasy team. Just ask @Machine Head.

Machine Head likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

Yes, I understand your argument. It is still bullshit. He didn't suck. His usual slow start lasted longer than usual. That he attributes the turnaround to a mechanical flaw doesn't change the fact that your assessment of the player was incorrect. Players have slumps all the time and often it they make mechanical adjustments to turn things around.

The simple truth is when it suits you, a sample size as small as a single game is good enough. Other times, it is a month or even the following season. This is why you have earned the "T" word. You said McCutchen sucks now and the current evidence proves you wrong.The rest is just your usual bullshit.

11. Dick Whitman

I would take your indignance a lot more seriously if you come strong with it before McCutchen became McCutchen again.

12. outofplace

I'm not indignant. Your little outburst when I called you a troll the other day was an example of a person who was indignant.

I did point out McCutchen's a history of slow starts. I posted that June 8, the day after you started the thread. Funny thing is, the turnaround had already started by June 7. You just hadn't seen it yet. He had already raised his batting average from .200 on May 23 to .235.

You can whine about it all you like, but you started a thread with a premise that does not fit the current evidence.

Edit: Your premise has been proven incorrect, though I'm sure if McCutchen falters a year from now you'll try to claim that as evidence you were right.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted