1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Andrew McCutchen suck now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lol. May doesn't count!

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Said nobody, but it's not like I expected you to respond honestly.

Last I checked, the season started with April. Again, thank you for providing statistics that prove my point regarding McCutchen. I said he starts slowly and according to the statistics you provided, his worst month statistically is April.

When I brought up the slow start, I did acknowledge that it extended farther into the season than it had in the past.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

His 2017 slow start included all of 2016, I guess.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. outofplace

Again, he had a bad season. But a look at his career trends made it clear that a slow start was not a guarantee that last year was the new McCutchen. By all means, keep twisting yourself in rhetorical knots to avoid accepting that your premise may have been incorrect.

At least you've dropped the idiotic "step away from astrology" bullshit.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

Two of Dickie's favorites faced off tonight as Jake Arrieta pitched in Pittsburgh. He handled McCutchen, but the Pirates' outfielder did hit home run No. 12 off the Cubs' bullpen.

McCutchen's slash line is now up to .261/.337/.473. Not up to his MVP days, but a hell of a jump from where he was in mid-May.

8. Dick Whitman

Yes, the piece I linked indicated that he thought he had isolated the mechanical issue causing him to suck.

I also posted early that I wanted him to turn it back around.

9. outofplace

Why is that relevant? I also posted multiple times that I want Jon Lester to pitch great.

Also, that you later saw that McCutchen was coming around doesn't change the premise when you started this thread.

10. Dick Whitman

I have no idea what you are arguing.

11. outofplace

Either you are lying or you have reading comprehension issues that I would find quite surprising in someone who does what you do.

You started a thread with the argument that McCutchen sucks now. You said you hoped he would turn it around, which is irrelevant to whether he will or not. After he started hitting you said you read something about him finding and correcting a mechanical flaw. That doesn't change the fact that the current evidence does not fit your initial premise.

12. outofplace

McCutchen went 3-for-3 tonight, including home run number 14, and drew a walk. His slash line is up to .268/.343/.494.

His OPS currently stands at .837. His OPS after the games of June 20 in 2013, his MVP season, was .799.

Yes, I'm cherry-picking stats a little bit and yes I'm posting this only to tweak Dickie. I may be using his tactics, but at least I'm honest about it.

Actually, McCutchen's statistics are still off his career pace in most areas, but the current streak does seem to show he doesn't suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted