1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Andrew McCutchen suck now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Proper style is Andrew McCutchen -- HOFer?

It's too bad. He and the Pirates' resurgence were one of the great stories in MLB.

Then h went all Samson and cut his hair. Shoulda kept the dreads.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Because he's on my fantasy team?

service_gamer and Captain_Kirk like this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mainly it's so OOP has something to bitch about for the next 10 years whether the Pirates keep him or get rid of him.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nice to know I still own that space in LTL's head.

6. outofplace

They wasted that window of opportunity, in part because ownership insisted on going the cheap route. This current team is a mess for reasons beyond McCutchen's struggles. Off-field issues such as Marte's PED suspension and Jung Ho Kang's legal issues took away two key players. Maybe the next cycle of talent will fare better.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

His line drive percentage is down from 33 percent to 21 percent over two years ago, and his Batting average on balls in play is only .250, whereas it was otherworldly from 2012-2015: .375, .353., 355., 339.

Last year it was .297, a little below the norm, which is usually around .300.

So he's not hitting the ball as hard and he's not having as much luck.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He's been pretty hot the past week or so.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Fangraphs story I linked says that he believes he isolated the mechanical flaw. (He actually told this to MLB.com.) I would like to see him get back to his old self. I really like him.

jr/shotglass and CD Boogie like this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I saw a docuspecial on him, I think with MLB Network or maybe it was 30 for 30. I dunno. But he came from real poverty and seems like a genuinely good dude.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Saw him hit three HR in a game in 2009 and thought I'd seen God. Saw him again during his MVP season and was just as convinced.

Not that my reply answers the question. I'm baffled, too

12. outofplace

He does have a history of awful starts, though this one has lasted longer than most.

Edit: Meant to go back and add to this yesterday. In 2015, for example, he was hitting under .200 with two home runs May 6 and dropped back down to .225 May 19. He finished that year with a .292/.408/.488 slash line and 23 home runs.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted