1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you do this to yourself, Peter King?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're right. MMQB is the best-read story on SI.com every week, and I remember someone telling me that if you took Nos. 2 through No. 10 they wouldn't combine to get as many clicks and King's column does.

What's funny is that King is one of the most knowledgeable NFL writers out there. It's just so funny that he sees the need to put so much other crap in the column. I must admit that some of the Dr. Z updates and stuff like that, I like...

But you're right, why change what's working?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You change what's working so that it works better. I can't believe any of Peter's readers are clicking on for the travel stuff.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How many fewer clicks would his column get if he ditched the non-football stuff? Not many.

4. It would only take one, and sadly, I still believe the Vikings are just stupid enough to talk themselves in to trying to make it work one more time.
    Especially if the labor situation shortens the offseason, and they don't think they have enough time to teach a new guy the offense.
    I will believe he's not coming back when Game 1 kicks off and someone else is playing quarterback.
    And probably not even then, if the new quarterback is Joe Webb or Tarvaris Jackson or Patrick Ramsey or Spurgeon Wynn or Brooks Bollinger. One or two bad weeks to start the season, and the phone starts ringing in Mississippi.

5. AD

AD Active Member

i don't disagree: i argue constantly that i usually dislike the insertion of writers' travails or musings -- be it wright thompson or king or anyone.

but everyone keeps saying that the web is unlike a mag story or straight newspaper stuff - that readers WANT that kind of stuff. witness bill simmons. i certainly gloss over the coffee nonsense, but it seems that king is tailoring his column for the web sensibility -- and his formula is proven every week to be the right one.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You can easily gloss over what you don't want. And the fact that it's usually 5-6 "pages" helps me plow through it.

I also appreciate that he doesn't have the "Cheerleader of the week" or "Dashette" or the like. Not being a prude, but those are cheap devices for clicks. Writing about the travel travails and coffee at least takes effort.

(OK, picking the right cheerleader of the week sometimes takes effort too...)

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If it was strictly football, it'd be as interesting as Don Banks' or Mort (guessing he has one) or any of the other dozen NFL writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted