1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do women's basketball players stay in school four years?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You are the king of broad assumptions.

How many women's college basketball players are realistically looking at making $1 million per? I seriously doubt you need more than a hand to count them all.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You believe that someone choosing to spend one more year in a college environment, getting her degree and around her best friends, is evidence of a plantation mentality?

I think you need to read up on these "choices" people are allowed to make now.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A bunch of mammies? Butterfly McQueen could have made a mint by leaving early.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Because only money and slavery-era metaphors are cool.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know how many have that opportunity. Or even $500K. I'd be interested in finding out. I know this, though: None of them ever take it.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Wow. So let me get this straight. They guys can stick around and get their college degrees. But the women need to just leave and grab a measly (compared to the men's salaries) $1 million dollars and you think they are set for life?

If you ask me, it is way more important for the females to get a degree than it is the males. Because without one, we are at the mercy of asshole men taking care of us for life.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

WNBA players may like 40,000 a year, tops. Why WOULD they leave school?

8. Dick Whitman

I think that a lengthy pattern of participants in this particular sport, given this opportunity and turning it down at a rate that far exceeds what one would expect from rational decision-makers, is evidence of a plantation mentality.

9. Dick Whitman

It's not $1 million for one year, a one-shot deal. It's $1 million a year probably for 5-10 years.

Also: Do you really think that Brittney Griner is going to have difficulty finding gainful employment after her career, with or without a college degree?

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's not that fucking hard to fact-check before talking out of your ass, Skip Bayless.

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/wnba-salaries.php

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So this contract is take-it-or-leave-it right now? She can't get a 5- or 10-year deal in the spring of 2013?

Math fail.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You have reached new levels of low, here, Dick. And on the same day that you posted kids should be pushed out of the nest at age 20.

Draft saved Draft deleted