1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do women's basketball players stay in school four years?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just who declared you the judge of worldly characters?

Back on topic, what business is it of ours why Brittney Griner stays in school?
    Could it be because she enjoys it?
    Enjoys playing ball and hanging out with her teammates?
    Thinks she has more to learn and plenty of room for growth in her game?

She might really value the education. Maybe she made a promise to her parents, her friends, her relatives or some combination thereof that she would get her undergraduate degree. Worked pretty well for Tim Duncan, didn't it?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It has been conceded that Brittney Griner, like Andrew Luck, may have reasons that she chooses to stay in school rather than leave early. The very narrow question is why EVERY Griner stays in school, when that doesn't happen in baseball and football. People have offered their hypotheses, which are valid, and I think get you part of the way there. I think that social inertia, including from concern trolling coaches, get you all the way there.

I just don't find this that controversial. It's some form of, "Because that's how it's always been done."

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It hasn't been "crap." It's been a really interesting discussion. And if there has been "crap," which I define as personal bullshit, it's not coming from me.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why do you have to call them broads?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because he had all the ingredients for a great piece of ass last night. Plenty of time, and a hardon. All he lacked was a broad.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm with you most of the way there. I'm going to take the Charles Barkley route on one part of it.

Don't put it on Griner's shoulders to be a beacon for thousands of young girls. She's just a young woman who probably is just having a good time in school.

7. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

The very narrow question of why it is not done is because there simply is no market to do it. There really is no market for any women's pro league in the United States. The women's U.S. soccer team does OK in an Olympic or World Cup type stage but is quickly forgotten.

If Brittney Griner was a tennis star, she would have much more potential to be famous and successful on a national and international level. As a golfer also, but probably to a lesser extent.

I imagine moreso in those individual sports just because of the novelty factor of seeing a 6-8 women's tennis player or golfer.

As great as Brittney Griner is or might become as a woman's basketball player, the level she plays at is about the same as a very good high school boys basketball team or a college level men's intramural team. Usually WNBA teams scrimmage against men who might have played some D-3 ball or less. The market for the WNBA is such a small target audience that there is no long-term money to be had.

Griner does have the benefit of being an androgynous and somewhat polarizing figure ("She plays like a man" and many question if she does not have any extra male chromosome). Some pro marketers have said that actually will help her when it comes time for endorsements.

She seems like a very nice person who enjoys college and certainly has helped shape the woman's game. She can help define new roles of what a woman's athlete is supposed to be and look like, but I doubt she gets much national or international following even if she can dunk two or three times a game. Now, if she develops a mean backhand ...

Draft saved Draft deleted