1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do wide receivers get into so much trouble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Off-the-field problems, as has been proven here, do not discriminate by position. There is, however, evidence that wide receivers have more INSIDE the organization problems than guys at other positions. They seem to be at odds with their teams, especially with coaches and quarterbacks, more than other guys. Ocho, T.O., Burress before this stupidity, Terry Glenn with the Pats back in the day.
    We may be psychoanalyzing the wrong problem here.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Even three out of 20 is out of proportion. Lineman and linebackers made up just 7 out of the 20 on the list, 32 percent, though they make up more than half of a team line-up.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In his defense, he was drunk in a bar and got thrown into pub-LIC

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This was a great post.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Whether or not the numbers are there, wide receivers "seem" to lead the league in locker room cancers/training camp outbursts.

Every team I have covered had diva receivers. Guys who would make flip comments about getting the ball when the team would lose and it was 'me me me me me me me' when they got a TD in a victory.

The paradox was that I never had a problem with Randy Moss in six years of covering him. The MSP guys didn't get along with Moss but he never had an issue with our outlet after games.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Did both those guys have their middle names legally changed? :)

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It is the kind of people you are dealing with. Steve Largent and Jerry Rice --- two of the greatest receivers in NFL history --- didn't fit that mold. They were great wide receivers, but their character was far different from these clowns.

None of this suprises me anymore. If you open your eyes, you can see this coming from a mile away.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If only we'd left God in the schools.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Look at the guys these people hang with. It's the same thing I said after the Michael Vick incident went public.

They're all cut from the same cloth. Just because one of the group can run faster or catch a ball doesn't make them any less likely to get caught up in that lifestyle. We seem to want to believe that athletic prowess someone makes them above this sort of behavior that characterizes their peers. Yet time and again we are proven wrong.

10. Not his kind, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted