1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do sportswriters resent blogs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Minnesota4Ever, Feb 27, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and she proveably hot. Demonstrably hot.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thank you, Pringle.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Shotglass: I'm not championing fanboy blogs, but I give them the right to post whatever the hell they want no matter how inane.

Pringle: I don't think all bloggers hate mainstream writers. Another generalization. But, do you know what? People hated mainstream writers before blogs were invented. And you know what else? There are a lot of bad mainstream writers.

One thing I wish fans would understand is the relationship between the press and athletes/teams ... you can't go in there guns-a-blazing and ask controversial questions. You have to form relationships, develop sources, etc., or else you'll be nudged out and get nothing. Of course, some writers are more than happy to never ask anything controversial.

The street runs two ways for everyone.

(Note: I should add that I am not a fanboy blogger and have been a part of the sports journalism world for a while, but I have also embraced the online sports journalism world)

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, I'm definitely not one to throw out the "good old days" line often, but this may be one case in which it's apropros.

It used to be that you had to have some sort of credentials to put your "analysis" out there for mass consumption. That's been lost, thanks to the Internet, and I don't think it's necessarily a good thing.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

My little cousin has an blog about the NFL. It reads pretty well. He gathers info from other sites and crap like that.
    Is it really worth reading? Hell no! He's friggin 15 and never met an NFL player in his life.

6. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

Either you're a talented writer or you aren't, so I don't think it matters that a person has a four-year degree, etc. There are plenty of writers out there who went to school for something else and wound up writing, or who went to school for journalism and are now doing something else. Good writers write material people want to read. Bottom line. It doesn't matter to me whether it's on a blog or in a newspaper.

7. Chris_Dankberg

Chris_Dankberg New Member

Anybody know why this debate is progressing so furiously at SportsJournalists.com? I discovered this site about six months ago and read - didn't post. The discussions at that time were very journalism focused. It was different, but not titillating. Now, this forum, for better or worse, has turned into a discussion on the online media and the more traditional media. I guess a lot of that has to do with the Big Sexy. But thebiglead is here as well. And I imagine other people from the sports world are reading, if not participating. My question is, when does this stuff spill over? Do the millions of PTI viewers who don't have any idea what The Big Lead is become more aware after PTI runs a retraction? ESPN is collating information from the 'underground' in the same way that the bigger "bloggers" are collating information from around the sports world.

That paragraph is a little disjointed. But I just don't understand the division, any longer. As you guys have pointed out, it's the audience that's key. And there are some bloggers with very large audiences. I don't love the format of blogs. But I do love the democratization of information. And I love that there are people out there (attempting) to keep ESPN honest. Newspapers have never voiced a lot of the criticisms that huge sports fans - the core audience of their pages - were making privately. Once sites like Deadpsin and The Big Lead did that, I think it was practically instant credibility.

By the way, I think Buster Olney's MLB blog is the best thing running on the internet currently. It's like an old Gammons' Boston Globe column five days a week. It's worth the price of ESPN Insider by itself if you're a baseball fan.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a good read but Olney's stuff was far better at the NYT where he had good editing, too.

9. Blogs have taken it upon themselves to be vehicles of mass media criticism. Naturally, that's going to cause some friction.
    The fanboy sites are laughable. Leave them be. But there are others that genuinely do present new ways of looking at old data, or events.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

This is the biggest myth in the literary world. Except for the supremely gifted, and I'm talking one in a million, writing is hard f-ing work. It's a craft, no less than medicine, law or engineering. People, including writers, don't respect that enough. They think that good writing springs from nowhere. It's almost like there's shame in working at it. Think Stevie Ray Vaughn was ashamed that he practiced the guitar?

Good writing takes work. It takes practice. It often requires mentoring.

Can we kill the idea that "Either you're a good writer or you're not." It's lame.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

To clarify my earlier posts, since this thread changed direction over night:
    I don't have a problem with sports writers having blogs (ie. Gammons, Olney, Stark, bumfuck journalist), I also don't have a problem with BLOGGERS! who have established themselves and done good work (ie. Big Lead, Deadspin, etc.), I have a problem with people like Minnesota4Ever complaining about how sportswriters hate BLOGGERS! and then you read his BLOG! and wonder why. It is a bunch of fanboy crap.
    Last I checked, someone who wanted to be respected by journalists and considered their brethren do not post entire posts calling the White Sox the Whiney Sux.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been doing a blog for my paper for almost two years. When I started, I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world. Now, I think it's great because of the emails I get from readers, about 60 percent are based on something I wrote in the blog and the other 40 percent are from what actually runs in the paper...

That's just the reality in this day and age. We have to do this to keep up...

Draft saved Draft deleted