1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do sportswriters resent blogs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Minnesota4Ever, Feb 27, 2007.

1. I notice some writers actually hater bloggers writing blogs. Star-Tribune columnist Patrick Reusse dedicated his Sunday column about how he hates blogs. I know Steve Aschburner and Jim Souhan of the same paper have also said that they resent bloggers. My question is why. I don't think there is anything wrong with bloggers. If fans want to blog about their team and give their analysis, let them to do so. I don't see anything wrong with that. I rarely read blogs much, but I am not going to deride them. I think fans can get their source from blogs and the newspapers. I think both are useful.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Who here believes this will end well?

3. Oops sorry I brought it up then.

This was just on my mind since Reusse wrote a column about it. My guess was that he was taking a dig at Aaron Gleeman, who has risen to fame by working for RotoWorld and NBCSports.com. I know there are many Twins fans that write blogs on their team. Some are great read like Aaron's, SethSpeaks.net, and Stick and Ball Guy while others like BatGirl are worthless.

I don't have a problem with journalists or bloggers whatsoever. I think they both do a good job at what they do. They are very useful as long as the content is good. I just think it's counterproductive for Patrick Reusse or writers to take shot at bloggers. There is no need for that.

http://www.startribune.com/508/story/1022298.html

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It will end very badly.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The guy who started this thread is example 1-A of why I don't like bloggers.

WAHHHH!!! COVER THE TWINS MORE IN BERGEN!!!

Keep playing journalist, Brandon. It's cute.

6. Thanks.

I agree with what you said, journalist.

I rarely read blogs unless it's very interesting like the three blogs I just mentioned. I read blogs mainly just to get their take on the game that I watch on TV. I like to make sure they share the same opinion I have.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

We really need a Wonderlic here.

8. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just read through his posts and am starting to wonder if this is a joke. Minnesota4Ever posts a horrific story in a thread asking for help, then proceeds to rip multiple major writers and a major sports section.
    Now he wants to know why the big, mean sportswriters hate bloggers.
    I'm thinking he is a blogger not a journalist as M4E projected earlier, is this correct?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"We don't take kindly to bloggers 'round these parts."

"Now, Whitey ... they ain't hurtin' nothin'..."

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Complete BLOGGER. Brandon Walsh is a fraud of the highest order.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Reading his blog makes me dislike bloggers even more.

Draft saved Draft deleted