1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some people hate fantasy sports so much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

People hate people talking passionately that they themselves don't enjoy.
    It's the main reason for fights on this board.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't have anything against fantasy sports, but I do get annoyed by "fans" who view every sport through a fantasy prism.

I still think fantasy football is why Steve Young is viewed as an elite-level QB. Good? No doubt. Great? At times. Elite-level, all-time? Fuck that.

But he was a great, maybe the first great, fantasy QB, so many are wooed by that I think.

3. Can't you say that about anything, though?

Golf? Just chasing a little ball around for four hours. Pointless.

Literature? Sitting on a couch, reading some made-up tale for hours on end? Booooooring.

What is any of our recreation except finding another way to kill time while we wait for Godot, right?

4. highlander

highlander Member

Next time someone tries to pull that just start telling them about a dream you had. That's comparable to talking about fantasy sports.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me, too. I'll sometimes catch myself doing it, which bugs me even more. If I've got Adrian Peterson and he scores two TDs and rushed for 150 yards against the Eagles, but the Eagles win, it's like a win-win.

What about the flip side of that argument, though? What if you start rooting for a team because of fantasy purposes, then find you kind of like the team and not just "your guys"?
    Case in point: I live in Saints country, but was never a big Saints fan. Back in the 90s, they sucked big-time but would always be on TV against some equally shitty NFC West team instead of the marquee game that week (Cowboys-Niners? Cowboys-Packers? Nah, down on the bayou you got a steady diet of Saints vs. NFC West crap team du jour eight times a year and LIKED it!). So I'd always been bitter toward the Saints. A few years ago I end up with Aaron Brooks and then, a couple years after that, Drew Brees, on my fantasy team. So I start to follow the Saints a little to keep up with the QBs. And lo and behold, I find that the Saints are finally a decent and entertaining team and I start to follow them a little.
    Is that a bad thing?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I do not hate fantasy sports. I simply do not care nor see a lot of sense in fantasy sports.

What I hate is people who turn a baseball thread discussion into what Albert Pujols' hot streak means to their fantasy team.
    Nobody gives a fuck about your fantasy team!

There are fantasy threads here that I've never clicked on because I don't care. Just keep the fantasy bullshit off the real sports threads.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

OK, I'll take the bait and give you sports folks a real reason why this non-sports person plays fantasy football, in case anyone cares.

For me and Little Liesl, it stemmed from the simple fact that we wanted/needed to get out of our rut of having tunnel vision for the Texans. I spent 18 years watching football all alone and never really understanding all the positions and finer points of the game. Nor did I have any clear knowledge of other teams or players. I mean really, AA can only answer so many questions on any given Sunday from the two of us.

So, this was a legitimate way for me/us to expand our knowledge not just of the various positions, but of the other teams and players as well. It really opened up our enjoyment of the game as a whole this past season. It was a great learning experience for me.

(BTW, I kicked AA's butt this past year. A small victory for Big Sister.)

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Used to love fantasy baseball and football. But the last few years, I've lost all interest. this is the first time since 1998 that I have not played in any fantasy baseball league and for many years I played in two leagues. I really had zero interest to play fantasy football last year.

I've always done well in fantasy sports. Won my division in football and finished in third. A few reasons behind why I've lost interest:

1. Every year, two or three people stop playing because their team sucks. Fuck them.

2. Some people take it FAR too seriously. They talk shit when they win and cower in a corner when they lose. Fuck them.

3. Nobody wants to run a league, but all they do is bitch about how the commissioner runs the league. Fuck them.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Personally, I'm just happy that everyone has an outlet in this thread where they can puff their chests and bitch their asses off. Good for yas.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So anyway, my baseball team dropped its first weekly H2H of the season ending yesterday, so now we're 2-1. I did put up the fourth-best point total of the week, so I don't think I did anything wrong, and Fukudome did awesome for me as we tried to make a comeback late.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Exceedingly well played, Rick.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I don't hate fantasy sports, I hate people telling me how the home run I just saw impacts their fantasy team. I do not care.

I don't hate fantasy sports, I hate watching a game with someone who is cheering like a looser fanboy when Team A's QB throws a touchdown but whines like a biotch when Team A's RB rushes for a touchdown because it hurt your team.

I don't hate fantasy sports, I hate hearing someone talk about something that sounds like the Trade of the Century, and it turns out to be a deal you did with you goofy copy editor.

I don't hate fantasy sports, I hate having friends who are otherwise reasonable and decent people dodging out on a golf trip or the like because they have to prepare for their fantasy draft.

Okay. Maybe I hate fantasy sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted