1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some people hate fantasy sports so much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Believe sports in general continues to serve that purpose . . . . a truism for which all
    of us should be truly grateful, for as long as it lasts.

2. WS

WS Member

I enjoy it. I'm usually in one $10 league in baseball, football and basketball.

Now, I don't cover a pro team, nor do I have a favorite pro team. Paying attention to my teams helps me follow the leagues better.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll say this much: When I stopped playing fantasy football a year or two ago, I found that I had absolutely zero interest in the rest of the league, other than the one team I root for. That said, my interest in the NFL had been waning for a couple of reasons -- namely overexposure for 12 months. But FFL kept me interested in whatever game was on, and I liked that about it.

But I'll always play fantasy baseball, as long as my old hometown league is still in existence (up and running for about 10 years now.) It's more for the camaraderie than anything else -- keeps me in touch with my old ME, SE and old colleagues scattered around the country (including one guy in China).

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's one thing a lot of people gripe about that I don't see the harm in. If caring about your fantasy team means you keep an eye on a Week 15 snoozefest between a 2-13 Lions team (to see how Calvin Johnson is doing) and a 3-12 Bengals team (to see if Chad Johnson or T.J. Houshmandzadeh caught a TD pass), isn't that better than nothing?

And this is one of the big reasons I play in most of my Yahoo leagues. Our group of friends from college has scattered all over the country. E-mail, facebook, etc., is a nice way to keep in touch, but we've been doing fantasy leagues for the last 10 years. It's something that helps us keep in touch on a day-to-day, week-to-week basis when nothing hugely important is happening.

5. I don't hate it.

I just don't understand how anybody could waste their time doing something that seems so completely and utterly pointless and boring.

Hate to say, "Get a fucking life," but ... "Get a fucking life."

Hey, you asked.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If I don't care much about your real life, why would I give a shit about your pretend life as a team owner? I'll feign interest if you talk about your kid's Little League game, but when you start in on your "team," I'm outta there (or at least my attention span is) before you pull Peyton Manning's photo out of your wallet like it's a picture of your wife. Don't ask, don't tell.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Problem is, too many people take it too far -- they start rooting against their real-life team (which is why I, for one, try to draft as many Packers as I can, including Brett Favre in Round 1 every year since I started playing in 1998 :D) or they root for injuries to their opponent's players or they go crazy when one of their players does scores.

Case in point: A former coworker was a huge, huge Twins fan, always hated the Angels because they beat his team in the '02 ALCS. Garret Anderson was on his fantasy team one year and got an RBI single late in a game on a Sunday, and this dude gets up and starts carrying on like it's the fucking World Series. It's like, dude, you hate the fucking Angels. It's like me cheering for David Wright. STFU.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Worse than fantasy sports is the morons who run road races.
    Dude, we get it. you like to run, but finishing 463rd out of 500 in a stupid community 10 K makes you a worthless fuck.
    On the same level, same with the people who swim, ride bikes, or go hiking. Fucking lame.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I was a kid, my favorite uncle was in a rotisserie baseball league in another state with his law buddies. He got me in on it -- we'd talk draft and players through the U.S. Mail (!) and every Sunday I would copy the stats out of the Sunday paper by hand and mail it to him. (I was so young I really believed that this was a valuable service, as if his Sunday paper didn't have stats. He certainly made me feel like it was.) We never did too well in the league, but it didn't matter a lick to me. I loved it, and loved his stories about the guys all getting together every week to watch wrestling, drink and do league business -- in that order. I felt like I was in it, even from 800 miles away.

He's long since passed away, but I still think of him and his league. Even got the old letters and league bylaws (typed!) in boxes somewhere. Nothing today -- especially some antiseptic all-computer thing -- is ever gonna match that.

It's not "hate", but that's my $.02.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think I learned to hate fantasy sports pre-internet when fantasy nuts believed that we had nothing better to do on a Sunday evening in the office than look up the players on these tools' fantasy teams. Wasn't like we were trying to put out a section or anything.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's not the fantasy sports people hate, it's the talking about it that people hate. It's the equivalent of hearing someone natter on about what food in their fridge they're planning to eat in what order -- it's compartmentalized concerns that no one else on the planet would ever care about.

The other segemt of people who recoil is those who are (or see themselves as) insanely busy, and resent that other people apparently have the time to waste managing a fake football team.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

What a shock. The board's uppity drain finds fantasy sports beneath him.

Draft saved Draft deleted