1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so many people continue to pursue doctorates?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 22, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This, this, a thousand times this.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I enjoyed my master's WAY more than I enjoyed my undergrad experience as well.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many P.H.D.'s are actually paying for the privilege or are they receiving fellowships and serving as cheap help?

In today's dollars an MBA at the program I attended costs 70k a year for out of state students . But my alma mater will give you a fellowship and 20K a year to pursue a P.H.D. So you can avoid the debt and your professional opportunities will be about the same. A Ph.D in a business area might be considered too theoretical by some employers but you could swing a non-academic job.

I had a younger relative with a BA in Chemistry discover the same thing. Schools would give her a full ride and a stipend if she pursued a PhD and served as cheap help for 4-5 years but they were going to charge for Masters.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

There was a grad student panel on "Star Wars and International Security" last year at a major conference where the presenters dressed in costume.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm glad you explained that picture, John. Otherwise I would have thought it was the crowd at a Rush concert.

7. JohnHammond

Here was the one I was thinking of. The one before took place on March. This took place in 2015.

[​IMG]

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was at a business conference once that was bookended with one for biology. While checking out of the hotel I saw on the day's schedule an "Invertebrate Social" at 5 p.m. I thought, damn, I bet those invertebrates can partay!

Ace likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'm glad you explained that picture, John. Otherwise I would have thought it was millennial foodies desperately seeking other millennial foodies.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

11. JohnHammond

Is it worse to go to grad school and study a topic with little value or cover preps your entire career?

Draft saved Draft deleted