1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do So Many Drew Rosenhaus/ Miami U Clients Get Arrested/ Shot/ Killed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 2, 2008.

1. sg86

sg86 Member

I can certainly understand this point.

Paint me old-fashioned I guess.

The thing that gets me is that these re-negotiations are often times not significant enough to mean much more than a little extra cash in the pockets of a player's entourage.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

They should do everything they can to get an extra buck. NFL players have the biggest power gap of any of the four major sports. When your union leader is so loved by the league that the league honors him for a season with a uniform patch, you know that the players have been shafted.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, the NFL is the one sport where I would actually side with a player in a holdout. If the contracts were guaranteed, that would be a completely different story.

The average NFL career is less than five seasons, so get as much as you can as soon as you can.

4. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. markvid

markvid Guest

decesed?

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That was my thought. I looked at his client list and there are quite a few guys on there that I don't remember getting into any trouble.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Twice.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ehhh, I think Boom's got a pretty good list there, and a pretty valid connection.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So you're advocating that the player be the party with leverage?
    This situation was negotiated by the Players' Union, if they don't like it, negotiate better. And, may he rest in peace, Gene Upshaw did a much better job looking out for himself than his membership

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/sports/football/02sandomir.html?ref=sports

as for Rosenhaus, Sandomir does a nice job

Rosenhaus was upset, he said, because it had been a year since another of his clients, the Redskins safety Sean Taylor, died after he was shot.

O.K., he’s a super agent who loves his clients. But the circumstances of the Taylor and Burress shootings could not have been more different, and Rosenhaus’s failure to distinguish the two sounded insensitive.

Taylor was murdered in his home. Burress was carrying a concealed Glock semiautomatic pistol that went off in a Manhattan nightclub.

“I was so relieved to see Plax healthy,” said Rosenhaus, ignoring the possibility that Burress’s actions could have had broader ramifications. He expressed no relief that other Latin Quarter customers were not shot.

Instead, Rosenhaus was in self-absorbed-agent mode, caring only about himself and his client, and praising the Giants’ owners and General Manager Jerry Reese for caring, so far, only about Burress’s health.

“I’m very touched by the way the Giants have handled this,” Rosenhaus said.

Of course he is. The Giants have full leverage on Burress, who has rarely seemed content with the five-year, $35 million contract he signed in September. Only $11 million of the total is guaranteed, so it is Rosenhaus’s fiduciary obligation to his client to be as nice as possible to Giants management, especially if Burress’s lawyer helps him avoid jail time.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Generally speaking, Drew attracts clients who value flash and noise over substance. He also is more blatant about poaching other agents' clients than is the industry norm, and it's a real scum-sucking industry.
    Like some other high-profile agents, Drew seems to have a few front offices he gets along real well with, and others to whom his name seems to be an impediment to getting a deal done.
    The reason it's kind of a big deal that Drew provides nothing but contract services is that he tends to have clients who know little about investments and are unlikely to hire someone other than the agent to do this.
    I once spoke with an agent whose high-profile client had been poached by Drew, and the ex-agent was genuinely worried about how the player was going to survive. "He doesn't even know how to write a check to pay a bill," the agent told me.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Drew does not offer his clients investment advise but he does keep a gun smith on staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted