1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do So Many Drew Rosenhaus/ Miami U Clients Get Arrested/ Shot/ Killed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Of course it is. But if other agents are providing investment services, retirement planning, etc., why would you go with this guy. If you're a first-round pick who basically gets a slotted contract, what's he doing for you that other agents aren't, except, probably, inviting you to a bunch of kick-ass U parties and advising you to hold out in two years?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am aware but felt like it would be piling on to list them all. m

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wow ... that's a pretty sweeping generalization.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

With the number of agents who have provided "investment services" that have led them to the poorhouse, I could see the appeal of an agent who only handles contract negotiations with your team. Whatever you think of Rosenhaus, he's delivered for his clients in that regard.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Even the best investment service can burn a client.

Rosenhaus removes the variable.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If Bryan Pata was a Rosenhaus client, you've got a scoop. Pata was still playing for the Hurricanes when he was killed. So if he had retained Rosenhaus, he had violated his amateur standing. I suspect he hadn't officially signed anything.

7. sg86

sg86 Member

Why provide investment services when most of your clients so obviously just want to spend, spend, spend with blatant disregard for the future?

It's just a waste of time and money for Rosenhaus to do so.

Rosenhaus is the guy who likes to renegotiate deals after every season, so naturally he'll attract the shithead population of athletes who feel the same.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Why would athletes be shitheads for doing this? Often, they might be stupid if they didn't. With the signing bonus the only guaranteed money in the NFL, it behooves a player who had a great year to renegotiate immediately. Those NFL contracts are barely worth the paper on which they're printed.

Everybody loves to rip on the likes of Scott Boras and Drew Rosenhaus, but athletes wouldn't hire them if they didn't know they were going to maximize their income in the very short lifespan they have as athletes.

9. sg86

sg86 Member

Then why not just sign a one year deal if you're going to want a brand new deal at the end of each season anyway.

I'm all for maximizing earning, but I'm against demanding a 4-5 year deal because you want security from the team, and then asking for a brand new deal at the end of the first year and holding out until you get what you want and not giving them the same security you asked of them.

I guess all's fair in business, but it really opens eyes as to what kind of person you are when you continually pull this crap.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Salary cap reasons. Bonus money gets amortized over life of the contract.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And NFL teams can drop players at a whim and the money's not guaranteed, so if a player has leverage, the agent should take advantage.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which would be the "Miami U" part of Boom's post.

Draft saved Draft deleted