1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people want autographs....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My mom's friend, back in the day, got John Wallace to sign this basketball for my birthday: To Madhavok, best Wishes. The story went that Byron Scott was jealous (yeah, right) after seeing a rookie from Syracuse sign a ball. Then came Marcus Camby who put his name on it.
    Interesting to say the least. I don't think it's left the glass housing since 1996.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Now here is a pro who respects the laws of legibility.

[​IMG]

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Avoid the clap, Jimmy Dugan."

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A buddy of mine's uncle was a prison guard in post WWII Germany. He has a slip of paper made out to him and signed by Herman Goering. I can't help but think when holding it, "Holy crap, this was in the hands of one of the world's biggest war criminals days before he died."

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I don't really get what people do with the autographs when they get them. I can see framing a baseball card or a picture, but when it's a scrap of paper, is that what people do?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

[quote author= link=topic=71822.msg2543191#msg2543191 date=1248783489]
    [​IMG]

"I like crabs, Jimmy Dugan."
    [/quote]

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

In some cases it's just a dumb reflex. People don't really need the autograph, or especially want it, but the opportunity presents itself and they feel like they have to get it -- especially if they see someone else asking.

I had a friend who worked in local TV, and every once in a while we'd meet for coffee at the local McDonald's. People would spot him, recognize him, and then they'd come over with a napkin or a corner of a placemat to sign. Can't believe any of those scraps survived, and it doesn't matter anyway. The guy came to hate the TV gig, quit the business, and wound up opening some clothing stores.

Draft saved Draft deleted