1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people think writing is easy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KnuteRockne, Apr 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Interesting take. Maybe it's because of the gut and the fact that I was born with few athletic genes, but I admire anyone who can bench press 400 like it's nothing. Makes me realize how lucky I am to be a hack and not a construction worker.

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

This whole dynamic is a similar to comedy in many respects. I bet there are people out there, friends of comics, who tell them all the time, "you'll make it, you're hysterical!" Likewise, there are people out there who think stand-up comedy is a piece of cake.
    Then they sign up for a 4-minute spot during community night at the local Chuckle Wagon and they change their thinking.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

Some people think writing is easy because the very best writing, when the writer has done his or her job well, often comes off as absolutely effortless.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

When I was just starting out in the 1960s (and I was in high school), my crusty old city editor told me, "You know you're getting better as a writer when it gets harder for you." I didn't know what the hell he was talking about at the time, but I sure do now.

Draft saved Draft deleted