1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people laugh at broad comedy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Adam Sandler's comedy is way smarter than people give him credit for. I think he ruins it with the fart jokes and so forth, but in between, there's some funny stuff.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You sure are an arrogant douche.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm glad you were the first to come up with that nugget.

It just means a little more coming from you.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

And then there's Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star, which is pulling the coveted Zero Percent at Rotten Tomatoes.

And I'm sure his upcoming Jack and Jill won't fare much better. Adam Sandler playing his own twin sister? SOLD! Sandler, you genius, you've done it again!

5. Dick Whitman

I'm thinking of moments like the end of "Happy Gilmour" when Carl Weathers and Abe Lincoln are waving at him from the clouds.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I only have a quarter brain so I do not understand this.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I like all those CBS shows, so I have only an eighth of a brain.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess Dick's standard question of "why does it have to bother old people if I pay attention to advanced stats in baseball" takes on a different form when anyone decides to consume TV in a different way.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about those CBS procedurals, but they do seem to have a pretty high RAR (Ratings Above Replacement) and OPS+ (Offensive Puerile Stereotyping). So basically I have proof that those shows are better, it's all in the numbers.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I await the Bill James Television Abstract

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well done

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll take offense to that. NCIS is a great show. CSI has taken a colossal dropoff since Peterson left. Criminal Minds is one of the darkest shows ever on network TV. I stopped watching after I had kids, but it was a great show for the first few seasons.

12. Dick Whitman

It doesn't bother me so much as mystify me that someone would find "Spongeboob Sweatpants" or Dwight Schrute throwing a phone at somebody funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted