1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people laugh at broad comedy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear from some of our resident TV-philes like Double Down.

Why do people laugh at dumb, broad jokes on TV?

I just saw the latest "Whitney" commercial. She calls someone "Spongeboob Sweatpants" and the live studio audience cracks up. NBC thought it was such a great line, they've centered this week's ad campaign around it.

Who finds this shit funny? Why? What am I missing?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're assuming more people are like you or DD than are like me. And you'd be wrong.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Senses of humor are very odd things. Hard to find two that match. You should've watched the 60 Minutes thing tonight about Trey Stone and Matt Parker for the exception that proves the rule.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I had to look up the term broad comedy, because I have never heard it before. For the record my grandmother knew what it meant :)

The physical comedy stuff I will never get, one of my uncles loves The Three Stooges and I can't figure it out.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

How many threads do you start a day, seriously? With every thought that passes through your head? I find *that* funny. (Not meant to be insulting. It's just that if I notice someone starts a lot of threads, it must be a slew of them. I'm not that observant and I don't live on this site.)

People laugh for different reasons. Many times I laugh because I'm laughing at the people who are laughing at something I find amazingly non-funny. In the end, all it does is add to the laughter.

Personally, I don't get broad humor. At all. I like understated "King of the Hill"-type humor -- where you have to think about it first.

But if a whole room of people is laughing at something I think is stupid, yeah, I do laugh at them.

Not that I'd ever be in a sitcom audience. I'd probably be kicked out for not laughing.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

KJIM, our rent's not that high; you can live here.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've actually had some time off the last few weeks. So lots of free time. Ending soon, though.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah...broads make me laugh...their lipstick and stilettos shoes and such.

9. dooley_womack1

Thank you, Frank Sinatra.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Sooooooo, you're saying this place is no Greenwich, eh?

11. dooley_womack1

Heck, one can live in Greenwich, too, but it would give Stain a coronary

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Dick's next thread: Why do birds suddenly appear?

Draft saved Draft deleted