1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people hate the ACLU so much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 26, 2008.

1. The separation of church and state is the REASON for Amendment I. And, as long as we're talking about words that aren't in the Constitution, go find "God," "Jesus," "the Deity," or even "Creator," which is at least mentioned in the Declaration of Independence. They're not there, either.
    I'm not going around with you on Amendment II, except to say that neither it, nor any Supreme Court ruling in the history of the country provides for an unlimited right to own an unlimited number of unregulated firearms, and that's all the ACLU says. On that subject, though, here's a letter from the ACLU to Bill Clinton, criticizing the government for its behavior at both Waco and Ruby Ridge.
    http://home.flash.net/~csmkersh/letter.htm

And there are those who believe Neal Boortz flies in the face of human evolution.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You've been Boortzed!

3. pallister

pallister Guest

C'mon, Waylon, it's obvious that people who take issue with the ACLU are small-minded, ignorant fools. Not the tolerant, intelligent souls who support an organization committed to protecting the rights of all individuals no matter the politics at hand.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Any organization that can't differentiate the speech of the B'nai B'rith and the Nazi party, The NAACP and The Ku Klux Klan, yet wields the power to change national policy isn't deserving of much respect. While I understand the principle of free speech, the fact we reject common sense and civility and instead embrace foolish and rigid consistency causes me to reject the good they do, since,as an organization, the ACLU has no conception of good v. evil.

5. My Sarcasm Detection Machine just burst into flames.

6. That seems to go against the "marketplace of ideas" concept I was taught back in Media Law, the theory being that in a free speech society, the beneficial ideas will take root and the less beneficial ones will die on the vine or become marginalized.

And I'm talking about ideas and concepts - not the idea out there that hard science facts should be determined by referendum.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

People don't do what's best for themselves only what's easiest, society travels the path of least resistance, so in a market place of ideas and media objectivity, hate and love, good and evil, selflessness and selfishness are given equal billing and equal time, without regard to their true meaning.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The ACLU defended Rush Limbaugh. That's a pretty good reason to dislike them.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does Rush still dislike them?

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're reading things into the Bill of Rights that don't exist. The only thing in that document in regards to religion is that a President or Congress or the Supreme Court can't all of a sudden tell us that we all have to be Methodists.

Who's Neal Boortz, by the way? Honest ... I don't know.

11. hondo --
    Please read the supporting documents and the writings of the men who wrote Amendment I. It means the government -- any government -- should not be in the business of promoting any religion, ever. And, yes, I want "under God" out of the Pledge and "In God We Trust" off the money.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

hondo,

You honestly don't see that placing a manger scene on government property is at least a step in the direction of state-sponsored religion?

What if W put a cross on the White House lawn for easter? That be OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted