1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people dislike Barry Bonds? A Rick Reilly/Jeff Kent conspiracy!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The mystery to me is why anyone gives a shit what Bayless has to say.

Moreover, it's a mystery to me why Bayless -- who has always been a self-aggrandizing bullshit artist with nearly every "take" he has -- still draws a paycheck.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He happens to be exactly right on this one.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Shocking that you would agree with an interview in which Bayless figuratively gets down on his knees and services Bonds while blaming everybody he can think of except Bonds for his lousy public image.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's just silly, Cranberry.

I'm sure Bayless has agreed with me 100 percent on something he wrote too, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a "look-at-me!" bullshit artist.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Cran, why don't you convince of your case that Bonds is a legitimately nice guy. Use specific examples that you have first hand knowledge of.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was no turning point due to the Reilly interview. I remember on this site, Reilly was butchered for using Kent as the reference since anyone familiar with the Giants knew Kent was in no position to comment about "what makes a good teammate"

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Bayless is probably setting the table for "I will ghost-write the ultimate Barry Bonds autobiography, in which he will rebut all haters and name names. I will get that gig because unlike the rest of the media, I have SHOWN HIM THE LOVE!@!!!!!!"

8. Mizzougrad96

He and DLB will be fighting it out for that one...

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

All I said was he happens to be right in this case. I agree on Bayless in general.

Go back to my first post. All I'm doing is agreeing with Bayless. I think Bayless makes a lot of the "Barry's awful" bandwagon jumpers among the media uncomfortable because, pressed, a) they really can't come up with very good examples of just how just awful Barry is, and b) many (if not a majority) of them have never even been in the same room with him.

Now, I've seen Barry be rude to reporters and, personally, I think he's a too self-centered. That's the absolute worst I can say about the guy based on first-hand experience. None of that makes him an evil human being.

And while the Reilly attack piece alone didn't turn the tide, it was probably the high (low?) point in terms of media coverage of Barry. SI was a lot more influential in pre-Internet days.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Go back and read Trey Beamon's post for a specific example of why Barry Bonds is hated.

11. Mizzougrad96

From what I've heard about Bonds and Kent, Bonds usually just wouldn't say anything at all.

Kent would yell at reporters from across the locker room and do other things to make their lives miserable.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bayless blamed the negative image of Bonds on Reilly's piece, which is ridiculous. You supported that. Now you are changing your tune a bit, only after being reminded repeatedly on this thead that Bonds' reputation as a jerk was already well established before Reilly's column and in fact before Bonds ever even palyed with Kent.

If you want to argue that Bonds has been portrayed unfairly, that's your opinion. To say any point of view that disagrees with yours is "uninformed" is simply a matter of your own arrogance getting in the way of accuracy. To say Bonds didn't already have a terrible reputation before the Reilly piece is just ignorant.

Draft saved Draft deleted