1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people dislike Barry Bonds? A Rick Reilly/Jeff Kent conspiracy!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That is if you believe Skip Bayless ...

http://thestartingfive.net/2009/03/09/the-skip-bayless-interview-part-ii-colorful-conscious-and-of-course-controversial/

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Barry's a bad guy, and not because Rick Reilly said so.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Writers like Bayless take themselves way too seriously. 90% of sports fans don't read Rick Reilly. They wouldn't know Reilly's stance on Bonds if you put a gun to their head.

Even less read or watch Bayless.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

From what I heard from folks who covered Jeff Kent, they all thought he was a huge douchenozzle whom they hated dealing with and would avoid at all costs.

I'm not sure when he morphed into Magic Johnson.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bayless once again proving that he is a jackass.

Bonds started building that image in Pittsburgh, long before he played with Jeff Kent. The perception was that Bonds was the talented jerk playing along "nice guys" Andy Van Slyke and Bobby Bonilla. And yes, I do see how funny it is that many people in Pittsburgh thought of Bonilla as a nice guy.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bonds was a jerk at ASU, long before anyone had evfen heard of Jeff Kent. Probably was a jerk at Serra High, although that's a qualify school.

8. Yup.
    By all accounts Bonds was jerk before he ever set foot in Pittsburgh.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What happened to Bayless? Is he still on TV somewhere? Haven't seen him in years.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

A pretty telling excerpt from a John Steigerwald column -- I can't find the whole article -- a few years back in the Beaver County Times:

They were the long-time groundskeepers at PNC Park and Three Rivers Stadium who were killed by a drunk driver on their way to prepare PNC Park for opening day in April of 2002. They were both well known and well liked not only by the Pirates players but many of the players on visiting teams. They were also well liked by the photographers who work in the area next to the Pirates’ dugout.

Not long after they died, Peter Diana, a photographer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, got together with a group of people who knew Lang and Scott and decided to raise money for their families.

They figured it would be easy to get Pirates players and visiting players to autograph memorabilia and raise money by auctioning the items. All the players who were asked to cooperate did so without hesitation.

Except one.

When Diana approached Bonds, who had known both Lang and Scott, and told him about the auction and asked him to sign a few items, he said, “I don’t sign for nobody.”

That’s why Diana is quoted on the inside cover of the book, “Love Me Hate Me: Barry Bonds And The Making Of An Anti-Hero.” Diana’s quote: “Personally, I hope he (Bonds) dies.”

The Pirates know about Diana’s story and they know about the quote. They also know that’s only one of many similar stories about Bonds. One of the biggest misconceptions in western Pennsylvania is that the media dislike Bonds because of the way he treated them. Most in the media despise him because they’ve witnessed and have been privy to information about so many of the rotten things that he has done.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Or was that image built for him?
    There were bigger jerks in that clubhouse than Bonds when it started, with John Smiley being exhibit A.
    But the media took VERY GOOD CARE of Smiley and lapped up every word Van Slyke said while zinging Bonds every chance they could get.
    If I were Bonds, I'd have hated the media by the time I left, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted