1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do I do it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jan 10, 2009.

1. As I sit at my desk waiting for my post-production duties to wrap up. I am beginning to wonder why I do it.

Why I work 13-hour days. Why I have forced my family to accept 30-minutes and a takeout pizza to equal a family dinner. Why I put up with a customer base that both locally and nationally has said they don't want to pay for my product anymore. Why I have spent a lifetime working second shift, not knowing what days off I might have. Why I continue to work somewhere where my mistakes are ridiculed by the population at large and circled in violent red ink and left on my desk for everyone in the building to see.

And while I am sitting here pondering this, a fellow writer is pounding away on his keyboard 45 minutes after he punched out to write a story he found that was demanding to be told.

Why do I continue to find a way to get things done professionally when I work for a corporation whose only answer to the crumbling circulation base is to cut the product's quality, refuse to reinvest in infrastructure and think that online bells and whistles will prop up the sagging advertising revenue.

I don't know why, but I do know my post-production duties are done as is this rant.
  2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I do it for the groupies and autograph-seekers. But maybe that's just me.
  3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I do it because I don't want to work at Walmart.
  4. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

at least you know Wal-Mart won't fold.

You just have to learn how to deal with people who have three teeth and a bad case of BO.
  5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I do it all for the nookie.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

I do it for the same reasons those Titanic musicians played their way down to the briny deep.

(scratching head)
    Now why did they do that, again?
  7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Joe. That's the perfect description.

I do it because I don't know what else to. I don't know how to do anything else. And if I didn't keep doing it, I'd fret about what the hell I could or would do. So, I may as well keep plugging along until I've drowned in this business.
  8. NDub

NDub Guest

I ask myself the same thing and it's why I'm pursuing a new career. A co-worker and I had about a half hour discussion late last night in the newsroom after everyone went home. It was a venting session and we talked about our futures in the biz. He's finally acknowledged that his career - like mine - has jumped the shark.

You're spot on about quality cuts (his biggest gripe) and online bells and whistles to prop up the print product. It's not happening but we're forced to put in the extra work (my gripe) and get no bounce and really some crappy promotion of said online work. Ugh, I could continue ranting but we all know what it's like.
  9. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I do it because I can't go into medicine (bloodtests make me faint), I've got no curveball, and I call too many people motherfuckers to join the priesthood.
  10. Notepad

Notepad Member

No one makes you do this, you signed up.
    If you don't want to do it, don't bitch, find another job.

There are a lot of journalists out of work who would gladly trade places with you.
  11. Reacher

Reacher Member

I think most people still do it simply because it's easier to keep doing it than make a major change to do something else, no matter how much sense it makes to do the hard thing and get out.

I advise almost everyone to get out. Nothing good's going to come from print journalism in the next few years. Print is over, for the most part. Maybe online journalism will find its footing and begin to pay a decent wage. Maybe not, though.
  12. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

Online journalism does pay, just not online newspaper journalism.
Draft saved Draft deleted