1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do dogs hate vacuum cleaners?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to get one of those. I'm too wiped-out to clean house once I get home.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These two apparently fought to the death.

3. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

I'm pretty sure that vacuums produce some higher frequency sounds which for us are drowned out by other noises that are produced. Dogs are more sensitive to higher pitches so that they can hear small animals (IE. rodents) better, which explains the aggression. Babies are more sensitive to higher frequencies because women have higher voices and it makes them more sensitive to their mother's voice, hence the calming association. I'm not certain about this but I remember having this conversation with someone before and that explanation makes sense to me.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I had to read it twice, but top notch. TOP NOTCH!

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even if you have one you still have to run the regular vacuum once in awhile.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I have an alternate theory, based on the personality of my chocolate lab.
    I sense the dog saying, "Aw, crap, I just got the TV room looking and smelling like I wanted, now they bring out this damn thing again."
    This is what the dog seems to be saying. Or maybe it's just those voices in my head again ...

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Best answer I've been able to find is that vacuum cleaners tend to put out loud ultrasonic sounds that are irritating and frightening to dogs.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If nature abhors a vacuum, why can't dogs?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good one, Krusty.

Draft saved Draft deleted