1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do decent threads turn into p*ssing matches?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really don't think things are nearly as bad as they were a year ago, asshole-troll wise. The flushings made have aided things immensely. The threads getting locked are the types that have always gotten locked, it seems.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When did zag become a school marm?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

dools, three years ago, there were not 5 threads a day getting locked.

What's changed in the past three years?

4. dooley_womack1

Oh, there were stretches when that occurred. And there are stretches now where it doesn't occur. And if it is occurring more now, need I remind you this is an election year.[/schiff]

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Election year. Which is why we may do something about that. Another board I know prohibits political or religious talk and the penalty is the boot. I sure as hell don't want to go to those extremes but I don't want to deal with this for six more months either.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I would agree -- this is a point that I think needs to be made -- it really isn't that bad around here and the threads that have gotten locked have almost always run their course in the discussion and are just waiting to die anyway.

I think there is far less name-calling than there used to be, far fewer people agitating just to agitate and frankly the moderators have done a good job of keeping things cleaned up and making people who step way out of line disappear for a period to cool off.

I also think that people have been very respectful of the journalism board as being the far more serious board and that the topics here have been very good and healthy, hearty arguments are good for us all because like it or not, on some level, they make you think.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I sense deep appeasement underway on this thread.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

But by the same token -- I think this is the time you want to have some political threads because discussion boards like this are the only place where a lot of people can meet and discuss so many important topics and get so many different points of view.

The religious threads, yeah, they probably are less neccessary and cause more problems than they solve, but I think political threads are helpful to all of us in many ways.

9. dooley_womack1

Thank you, Prime Minister Chamberlain.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Who?

11. dooley_womack1

Um, he was big in the history books a few decades ago.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I like to be open to political threads, especially during an election year. But we must show we have the maturity to handle them. There are some topics here that get a thread gone just by their mention, because we have quite a nasty history of not being able to handle them.

There are lots of places on the Net to discuss politics. If this isn't one of them, so be it. But I would hate to see us get to that point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.