1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do decent threads turn into p*ssing matches?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And they make my point for me.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hey wait a minute -- I thought I was the only one allowed to post fictitious conversations between posters......

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How much did you pay them for that display, IJAG?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And some start threads and INTEND for them to become p*ssing matches. http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Great timing, no?

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

The rise of Internet gangsterism is one of the great plagues of our time -- and I'm being totally serious about that. It's the root of a lot of uncivil, antisocial behavior. It's like the rules have been lifted. The buffer of cyberspace allows cowards to vent all of the rage and frustration they aren't man enough to let loose in real life -- because they know if they talked to someone in a bar the way they talk to people on here, they'd get their head cracked open on the concrete.

If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, you shouldn't say it on here. That's about as simple as it gets.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wait, only political threads are supposed to descend into pissing matches?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Should be the One Commandment of the Internet.

I agree with what Jones wrote, but I also believe that how people portray and conduct themselves in cyberspace is much, much closer to their real life persona than people might think or care to admit.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Disagree. I'm not funny in real life.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Go fuck yourself, Jones.

Seriously, while I agree with your premise, I don't think its that widespread at SportsJournalists.com. This board has a lot of posters, and its literally the same eight every time that de-volve the process.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is a word for anyone who actually gets mad, angry, upset, offended, annoyed by anything they read in an annonymous message board or for someone who lets anything written on these threads ruin their days -- LOSER.

This is a diversion and frankly many of these discussions are very good, do make you think but invariably they run their course and that's when they meltdown into tit for tat, which can sometimes be pretty funny to be honest.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This thread certainly has taken an unsurprising turn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.