1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do decent threads turn into p*ssing matches?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Can somebody answer this, seriously? I don't have a problem with threadjacks and most of the time is the most fun part of certain threads, but when you want to have a serious, non-juvenile discussion about issues like gay marriage, the presidential election, etc. etc., you have certain posters that start big friggin' problems? It's just bullshit. This site, thanks to Webby, is pretty respected, and I think having a lot of different opinions is good, but starting pissing matches is a huge problem. It gets good threads locked/deleted.

EDIT: Mods, I put this in the wrong forum, even though it was a response to the Yawn thread about gay marriage... it should have been in Anything Goes.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It has been my experience that political threads are all fine and dandy when the liberal mafia is able to make all of their claims and say whatever they want and go unchallenged -- they usually fall apart, however, when someone from the other side steps up and says "um, no" or challenges them in an area where the only logical answer is "It is just different!!" ::) :p

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Because some people just like being dickheads.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Bud,

Here's your answer.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Because you are a Red Sox fan.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The funniest part is that its the same seven people. Like they are really going to change anybody's opinion on a subject.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You look familiar, but I just can't place you.

[​IMG]

Oh, right! That guy! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Some people take pissing very seriously. I am not going to let someone outpiss me if I can help it.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And you are?

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think a reason threads turn into pissing matches is that "heavy" subjects- war, poverty, morality- evoke strong feelings and people have a hard time reeling in their emotions.

And then, there's a handful of posters who clearly get their jollies by making fools of themselves, like grotesques out of Dostoevsky or Sherwood Anderson...or Goya.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a very, VERY narrow group that provokes lockups. Can count 'em on one hand, with fingers left over.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem with that is, the harder you piss, the more splatter you get on your slacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.