1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do citizens support a flat tax?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think in order to get it to work, you have to eliminate the kind of tax shelters that prevent so many companies from paying taxes.

There's also a big difference between "paying the same amount" and "paying the same percentage"

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And people would be willing to surrender $4,000 a year for that?

Forgive me for being skeptical. I think that you offer a reasonable defense of it, but I still suspect that many and probably most of the people who answer "yes" think that they will see their taxes go down immediately. We're such an instant gratification society that I find it very difficult to get my head around the idea that people value the theoretical long-term benefits of a flat tax at $4,000 a year off the top.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Again, that's a flaw with this particular plan -- the 9-9-9 plan -- not the idea in general.

The goal shouldn't be to shift the tax burden. (And, I should also point out, I'm not some huge evangelist of the idea, mostly because I don't think it will ever be enacted. Too many people have too much invested in the current system.)

The rate of taxation could still be graduated and progressive to keep the overall tax burden where it is. The key would be that every taxpayer pays a flat rate, not necessarily the same rate.

The focus should be on simplifying the system, not finding one magic rate.

4. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

I can\'t imagine anyone referring to Obama as \"Stepinfetchit\" before telling him to shine someone\'s shoes. How does this kind of post not get taken down?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This "stake in the game" crap is so ridiculous. Forcing someone who makes $11K a year to pay income tax so that they can feel some kind of "ownership" of a government that wastes billions chasing nonexistent weapons of mass destruction around the desert? Bullshit.

It's not about that, and it never was. It's about the rich, those long-suffering, put-upon scions of society, paying less and the poor, those lazy, layabout, shiftless scroungers, who'd be rich if only they'd do an honest day's work, paying more. Period. End of story.

6. YankeeFan

I just disagree.

You're anger is apparent, but it does not allow you to ascribe beliefs to me or other Conservatives.

We believe the Government has a spending problem. We think too many people don't care. The Government is a poor stewrd of of our money, but as long as it benefits some, they likely won't care.

Everyone should have a stake in our Government and how it spends our money.

Then, every Congressman will have to answer questions about spending when they do a Town Hall meeting.

Then, every ribbon cutting ceremony will be accompanied by questions regarding the "value" of the program.

What the "rich" care about is return on investment. The government provides a poor return on investment. They piss money away.

Why do you think Buffet, Gates, etc. have spent years planning out foundations that will better spend their money after their death?

If they believed government would spend it well, they'd just fork it over in inheritance taxes. Instead, they're doing everything possible to avoid that.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A spending problem? Yes. But not in the way you want us to believe.

What you believe is that the government has a problem of spending money on people who aren't you, who don't pass litmus tests conveniently set up so that you pass them and others don't.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The government only has a spending problem when it comes to national defense and health care.

That accounts for roughly two thirds of the federal budget.

Most of the programs people complain about are fractions of a single percent in the total budget.

Those programs, along with national defense and health care, provide jobs. Big, good jobs in places that don't often get them. When those jobs get cut, say a post office closing, people in those areas complain long and loud. Because it isn't a spending problem here, just there.

This is comparable to how most people dislike Congress but like their individual congressman.

For more than half the country, the tax code is insanely simple. That's roughly how many people file using a 1040ez. Add in the 1040a numbers and it goes up, way up. The people who benefit from a personal flat tax are the wealthy but because in America, everyone thinks they'll be among the wealthy one day, people will act against their best economic interest to further their economic dream.

Where the tax code needs work is on a corporate level but a flat tax on corporations simply doesn't work.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep. The people who think that they are going to eliminate the Department of Education and the Forest Service and, voila, spending problems all solved.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, so we'll throw in the NEA and that'll do it, right? :D

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sorry but the U.S. deficit has nothing to do with welfare queens not having skin in the game.

That conservatives never think it's OK to cut defense spending is where the hypocrisy begins, so holler when that happens and we can begin a serious discussion.

And how come conservatives weren't screaming when Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush were setting new deficit spending records while extending more and more tax breaks for the rich?

To suggest that conservatives are people who like to pay their bills and balance budgets doesn't really square with history, does it?

And is it just coincidence that every single flat tax plan ever introduced shifts a larger piece of the tax burden to lower- and middle-income folks while -- big surprise -- reducing the tax burden of the wealthy?

12. YankeeFan

Now you're putting words in my mouth again.

I think there are problems with all kinds of government spending.

And, because I pay taxes, it particularly bugs me. The thinking is that if everyone paid federal taxes, then everyone would question how the money was spent.

And, to your earlier point, maybe they'd care about military spending and/or foreign wars more.

Maybe they'd make their voices heard on all sorts of issues.

More people involved and invested is a good thing in my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted