1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did you get into sportswriting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by J Staley, Jul 1, 2012.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

To work long hours for very little money and be called an idiot by readers who can't spell.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wrote a few sports stories for the high school paper, but mostly other stuff. Did some news stringing for a couple tiny weeklies. First daily, though, the paper's editor was not going to let a 16-year-old cover anything but sports.

KC is one of my all-time favorite former colleagues and I don't doubt she is motivated by wanting to affect people's lives, but that's seldom what motivated me, even in that era just after Watergate when I began (first professional article in 1976). I kind of just wanted to work with words in some way, but my first time in a daily newsroom just hooked me on this way. The pace, the clacking of the AP machine and the typewriters -- but mostly because the editors in sports were the first grownups who did not treat me like a kid in any way. I was getting paid, so I had to be at least as adult as the staffers who had just graduated from college. No excuses, and no exemption from being shouted at.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great story by Crouse.

I wanted to be the next Marty Brennaman. Picked an out-of-state school for its journalism program, then freshman year went to the student radio station to get my foot in the door. They assigned me to broadcast a men's soccer game and I stunk out loud. Next stop, student paper. All good from there.

Always kinda wondered if I had prepared more for the broadcast, could I have done better and stuck with it? (Memorizing the rosters would have been a good start.) But I met my future wife at the school paper too, so no regrets.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Karen is one of my favorite people in journalism. She might catch shit because she has a very different world view than most sports writers, but that's also what makes her so good at finding so many different ways to tell a story. And if you are a nice person, KC will do cartwheels to help you in any way she can.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You have a future wife? Does your current wife know that?

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Well said, DD. She is a terrific writer and a better person.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Couldn't hit the curve.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

It's an amazing story. Re the handwriting of the page illustrated in the piece, I recognize it. I once helped out Karen with a quote. (Ron Wilson was an asshole with the women who covered the Ducks but had no problem chatting up reporters in Toronto.) The next week she wrote me a three-page letter and thanked me for helping her out. Way above and beyond the call of duty. I actually didn't think anything of helping her out. She'd be great to work with and an even better friend.

YHS, etc

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I wanted to tell stories.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got into sportswriting because I had always dreamed of having my career end in my mid-30s and getting to deliver that news to my pregnant wife was also a dream of mine.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Back in the mid-90s, I knew just about every sportswriter in SoCal. I was the victim of a layoff. The one hand-written note of condolence I got was from Karen.

12. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

I just wanted to cost a bunch of kids scholarships.

Draft saved Draft deleted