1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did Canada boycott the Bejing Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

OH MY GOD!!! Kolossus is in the final for shot put! I've lost track of him and I had no idea he had made it to Olympics.

Wow. I have a warm, fuzzy feeling that has nothing to do with the beer.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Haven't they slipped in the latter category, too, in recent years?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool if the individual states here in the US could be represented in the Olympics. Wisconsin would represent.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

At least they succeed in hockey.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If Canada holds on the defeat the U.S. softball team, would that be the high-point of the games for the country?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can we get poin to go back and spell Beijing correctly?

Or is he too busy searching for the Chinese coach/underage gymnast sex scandal story?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rowing finals are coming up on the weekened. Here's something we got a shot at.

http://olympics.thestar.com/2008/article/479072

The women's double sculls team and the men's coxless fours each advanced out of the semifinals to reach Sunday's final at Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park

"Coxless four" is one of sports' great events although it's bordering on Poin territory.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

We have medal potential on the track, too. Can't wait for the men's 800m!

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Canada boycotts the second half of this soccer game.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We seem to have too many athletes in the "just happy to be here" group. I don't know anything about water polo or men's field hockey other than I saw our national team get shitcanned in both sports this week.

I know the athletes are always bitching about lack of government funding - with some justification, I'm sure - but to me it's a chicken-and-egg thing. Which comes first, money producing results, or results that justify more money.

Mr. Friend O' is right, swimming has been in bad shape for some time. Alex Baumann, probably the best Canuck male swimmer of my lifetime, went to Australia some years back to work with their national program since his talents apparently weren't needed at home. He has since returned but his impact probably won't be felt until 2012.

Canada used to be a serious player in international boxing. This year we sent one guy, a 29-year-old (ancient in amateur boxing) welterweight who was so thoroughly outclassed in his opening-round match he was almost KO'd in the first round.

One thing I do know: the CBC owns NBC in broadcasting the games.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Venerable nited,

Keep in mind that Lorne Michaels wasn't funny enough to make it in Canada.

Canada's best (admittedly, all the punchlines are from Americans):

YD&OHS, etc

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Congratulations, Canada, on getting a second area code"

"Do you think Al Gore would know Toronto is the capital of Canada"?

Brilliant stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted