1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did Canada boycott the Bejing Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Because they can. [/newt_gingrich]

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Yup.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The govt is unwilling to fund athletes properly the way other countries are. The exception being the program ion place for the vancouver games.

If someone suggests pouring more money into athletes then you will find a chorus of people rallying with their "bread not circuses" type of response.

It is somewhat embarassing how much of a sporting nation this country is not, especially compared to countries of a comparable size.

Or it could be we are lagged down by our lack of sausage gravy.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One country full of fail.

Day six and not a whiff.

I wonder if we can go 0-fer.

Anyway, it's the summer olympics.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah... pretty soon the Leafs will start their annual playoff run...

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Perhaps it's a matter of too much gravy. I can see how a tummy full of poutine might hinder Alexandre Despatie's attempts to win a medal in diving. (If one put sausage in poutine, would that be good or grotesque? Has anyone ever tried to incorporate meat into the dish?)

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I was watching Canadian coverage of the Olympics -- and actually, in many ways, it's much better than NBC -- and their commentators seemed elated that their swimmers were even making it to the finals. Nevermind the fact that they routinely finish last in those finals, but they were thrilled just to have athletes there.
    They do stink, though. It's like the whole country is the Jamaican bobsled team.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Women's Soccer:

Canada vs. U.S. in a quarterfinal

9. Flash

Flash Guest

RIP Don Whitman

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Softball: U.S. is playing Canada today.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

We rule in the sports that matter - ice hockey, box lacrosse and Canadian football. :D

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Canada's media crew is gold medal. I shared the same living quarters with them in Atlanta. They were getting Molson sent down and killing it, nightly. Record setting performances. And they loved ripping the shit out of Ben Johnson.

Draft saved Draft deleted