1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why cover the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Don't use words if you don't know what they mean.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I saw that too, but the way things are going, it just might be the penultimate event for a lot of these folks!

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

In my limited perusal, St. Louis, Kansas City, Dallas and Fort Worth all have each sent 2 writers.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver I think has two. I don't take the dead-tree version anymore and in the few Facebook links I see, it seems to be two. L.A. has four, I believe.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd say it depends on the writer, but that's just me, I guess.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Perhaps he's saying that most of the reporters going are close to retirement and the only thing they'll do once they get back is their goodbye column, making the Olympics the second-to-last thing they write.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd say you better make a stronger argument than that if you're going to suggest that the typical metro sports columnist knows more about the Olympics than, say, Nancy Armour. Metro columnists rightfully focus on football and basketball and baseball and hockey. They know their teams. Few have reason to be intensely following international track and field competitions.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

they may not know all the major players but do you think an AP writer is going to know the backstory of the second-best pole vaulter as well as his hometown paper would?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, I'll admit it... :) You all sent me to the dictionary to look up a word I thought I knew.

Did you have to quote in probably the largest, thickest, blackest type I've ever seen around here, though?

Oh well, I guess I'll just take it as toughlove, done because you love me. Thanks. :)

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

L.A. has eight of its own, not counting Chicago Tribune family.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted