1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why coroners should be doctors and not elected officials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 1, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Coroner should have swept the leg.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I lived places where the only requirements for coroner seemed to be having a pulse and, hopefully, the ability to check for one.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems like excessive and arbitrary regulation. If the guy is such a bad coroner, people will purchase the services of a better one.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not impressed:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Quincy was a medical examiner, right?

I think I know the difference between an ME and a coroner, but what places have an ME rather than a coroner and why?

EDIT: Thinking this was a dumb question. ... Is there an ME who covers broad areas in case an autopsy is necessary?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Aren't morticians also the coroner in many small communities?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The coroner in my hometown has been the owner of the county's largest funeral home for probably 40 years. Passed from generation to generation.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I know a coroner works for the government, are there places when it is an elected position? I have never seen it on a ballot.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've worked in a couple of places where the sheriff is also given the coroner's title.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Active Member

One reason that coroners are not medical examiners is that most cointies do not ahve a qualified medical doctor to do an autopsy.

I worked for a county of 46,000. The elected coroner was a stocker in the grocery store. But the county did not have a qualified medical examiner who lived in the county. We contracted out to a medical examiner in the next county for autopsies. The coroner was paid about $1,000 a month to serve as the legally required witness at an autopsy and to handle administrative matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted