1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why College Sports is a Scam No. 101...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 24, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am sure they'd figure it out. On the whole, people tend to figure out things well when a buck is involved, and they make decisions that make sense for THEM (maybe not for you) and their circumstances. I'm sure many would employ agents. But that's not my problem. Nobody is recruiting me to play football or basketball.

Why is everyone so paternalistic? This is like everything else. When you walk into your boss's office to ask for a raise, are you savvy enough to figure out whether you are "getting screwed"? You do your best to guess how much leverage you have and you negotiate accordingly.

Your worth is whatever you can get someone to pay you. Whoever you are and whatever you do. Nobody is ever going to be able to guarantee that you won't get "screwed" in a negotiation. But what everyone should have, in my opinion, is the opportunity to negotiate freely.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You don't care about the children!

3. The Big Ragu

I hate children. And chihuahuas. But that is beside the point.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The point of my last post was to call out that what I said was merely an opinion. I'm not in charge of shit. I'm not dictating anything. I'm offering an opinion on the current discussion. To portray that as me lording over poor college athletes and decreeing what each will earn is just pointless and unfair. If you have a differing opinion, that's fine. But saying "who died and made you boss?" adds nothing.

But you're right, I didn't respond to the rest of your post, and I will. I think whatever economic value a player brings to a school is often paid back through scholarship, high-level training, room, board, nutritional experts, food, etc., not to mention national exposure so that when they are able to enter a more free market, their services are highly sought after by a high-paying NFL team. Just because the coach gets paid a shit ton more does not mean the athletes are getting the shaft. They receive more than the average college student in that respect.

As I said earlier, however, I do think the NCAA rules limiting them from making money off their own name is unfair. There clearly is a market for some college players' autographs or endorsements and they should be allowed to participate in that.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree. I come down as being fine with colleges giving athletes a small monthly amount and then truly treating them like any other scholarship student. Let them earn outside of the school.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

7. The Big Ragu

Once again. ... You think a player's value to the school is. ...

Look at it this way. Let's say you were selling your house. You wanted $X. Someone else was willing to pay $X. You're ready to sign the papers.

And there I am with an "opinion." Nah, I think your house is only worth $Z. You "should" only get $Z.

Your response would be, "Who the F are you? Butt out."

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's too difficult. We shouldn't try.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If there are any college football players on this site, they can feel free to tell me to butt out.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The contracts most people here deal with are less detailed than those of pro athletes. If everyone is able to figure it out why do almost all pro athletes have agents?

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Basic economics who's more valuable Iowa S&C coach or QB? What's QB package?

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

pretty sure I didn't say that.

Draft saved Draft deleted