1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why College Sports is a Scam No. 101...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 24, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have a question for those of you who cover schools in the top five conferences. How many big five football or basketball programs will carry an athlete on scholarship who is solid citizen with a decent GPA, stays out of trouble and practices hard but does not have the ability to get off the scout team. My impression is not many programs would.

I also believe that in many of those situations the press release will read the athlete is voluntarily leaving the program when in fact the athletes had there scholarships unilaterally terminated. But I don't know for sure. .

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

God, you and your batshit-crazy ideas ...

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And they go through a lot of them, too!

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Y'know, let's fix this, too, while we're at it... Why isn't it called "water handball?"

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Where is this "market" for football players under the age of 21 you guys keep talking about? And who is stopping these grown men from going there instead of college?

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who fucking cares? Why do you want to deny someone from making money?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Please tell me why it is reasonable for an institution of higher learning to prevent players from earning money off their own names. Why can't they sign autographs for money, work bullshit jobs and be paid by boosters? There's never been integrity in college sports so that can't possibly be the answer.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The NFL, in cahoots with the NCAA with the three-year rule.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Just because you don't think there's ever been integrity in college sports doesn't mean we should abandon the idea completely.

And, I never said they shouldn't be able to make money off their own names and images. Sign autographs? Sure, go for it. Do commercials? Have a blast. They should be no different than any other college student in that way. But being paid just for playing or coming to a school? Nope. They should be no different than any other college student in that way.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So are we mad at the NFL or the NCAA? If the NFL wanted to, it could get rid of that rule. What could the NCAA do? Then there would actually be a market for 18-year-old football players, although I think that market wouldn't be as kind as many are making it out to be.

Or they could go play Arena Football. The age limit there is 18, I believe. So there are options.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chemistry departments have multibillion-dollar TV contracts and deans who make $6 million a year?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why do you get to dictate what "should" happen with regard to the earning potential of someone else?

Even if you think you should rule over everyone that way. ... There is a huge difference between those players and "any other college student." In many programs, the players have huge economic value to the school. The schools earn a lot of money because of what those players provide. If any other student brings that kind of economic value to the school, I'd argue that they should have every right to try to negotiate their worth, as well. Not because of what someone else decides "should" be, but because they have actual negotiating leverage and it's not your business.

Draft saved Draft deleted