1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why cantankerous old bloggers need editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, Mar 28, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Goodness.

Will the AJC do something about him, or just write it off as "that's Furman" and move on?

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't know if anyone should take this into consideration, but Bisher is approximately a gazillion years old and served at Pearl Harbor.

I thought it was a pretty amusing read.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I find it sad because I generally enjoy his perspective on sports; consider it a privilege to be in Atlanta on the holidays when he pens for those papers. His clutch is slipping if this is what he's down to, though.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I found this highly amusing. I wonder if he'll put out any more of these gems.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's very true. Sometimes I think WWII gets a bad reputation sometimes. I see it as a relaxing vacation.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The blog item has a lot of problems, but I've been struggling with those who inject race into issues like this a lot lately.

Japan DID attack us in 1941. Bringing it up might be dumb, but the same kind of thing could be said if we opened the season in Germany, and nobody would claim it's racism then.

It's the same with arguments about immigration issues. You can be against people immigrating to the U.S. illegally but not be racist. See what I'm saying?

Wrongheaded is wrongheaded in any case, but if you're automatically racist if you criticize people who aren't Anglo, that's problematic to me.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It wasn't racist.

It was stupid.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It could be just holding a grudge if he was at Pearl Harbor. I'll give you that.

But in my experience, people tend to hold grudges a whole lot longer against people who look different from them.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I may do some searching in the archives around the Dolphins/Giants game to see if took on the bloody Brits for tarnishing our soil in the late 1700s.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Technically, it was their soil in the late 1700s.

Now, the war of 1812 was another matter.

11. Good lord.
    And I like Furman. Always have. But, damn, Furman, we won the war.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hell, Furman still votes for Sewanee in his SEC preseason polls.

Draft saved Draft deleted