1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't we straighten Mexico out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This. I'd say damn near No. 1 on the "basic common sense" rules when crossing into Mexico is Don't Bring a Shotgun.

What the hell was that nitwit thinking?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fuck Canada.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This: "notoriously violent corner of northern Mexico."

Also, it would appear that the U.S. customs officials and the Mexican customs officials at the border don't communicate much, if at all.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It means we use drugs. Which means, if we all use drugs but still write better than dog, how sad is that for him?

YEAH! ESPECIALLY THAT BITCH ANNE MURRAY!

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A bomb dropped on Jerry-World would be cheered by the rest of the country.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And Triumph.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Given the play that this story is receiving I think some news organization should dig into it. I have read several accounts and no one seems to have bothered to get the Mexican criminal complaint.

It sounds like the Mexicans would tell a different version if they have applied such draconian penalties. One organization quoted a Department of State website that said the practice in these cases is a fine, confiscation of the vehicle and weapon. Why have they reacted so harshly? I don't know but every American abroad who lands in jail always gives an innocent explanation.

And the defense that an unnamed American border guard said it would not be a problem goes about as far in Mexico as an unnamed Mexican border official's advice would in the U.S. judicial system. And even if the guy got it through Mexico what was he going to do in the Central American countries he would have to transit on his way to Costa Rica, where they also have stringent gun laws?

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm sayin'.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So you're advocating war with Mexico because an American violated Mexican law?

And what do you mean, the "drug threat" they are to us? If we want to eliminate the "drug threat," it's easy. Stop buying their drugs.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell, we can't even solve America's problems. Much less Mexico's.

But, if you decide military intervention anywhere in the world (Syria, Iraq, Mexico, etc.) is the way to go, go all in. Bring out the a-bombs like in Japan in WWII. None of this halfway "We really have no clearly defined objective" nonsense that accomplishes nothing and still gets a bunch of people killed. If you're going to kill, make sure everyone damn well knows what the reason is.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, good luck with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted